My beloved Cochy died today

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tiki244, Aug 24, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    She was my black bantam cochin hen. The only one I had, and I have had her longer than any of my other chickens. She was only 3 years old. She was overweight and seemed to be having trouble laying eggs this summer and she panted a lot. Today when I went to let her out she was panting really hard and looked very ill. I took her in to give her a bath and she collapsed in my arms and died.

She was my special girl and I will miss her greatly, I already do. I keep thinking what if I would have done this, or what if I would have done that. I blame myself. Poor Girl Rest in Peace.

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I am so sorry. You can't keep wondering or blaming yourself. That won't bring her back and you will just become more miserable. Instead of dwelling on the what ifs, dwell on the happy times when you did have her. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm so sorry about Cochy.
    JJ

4. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

:aww

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    my white cochin bantam is putting on alot of weight, theyre chubby chickens

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    This is the only picture I have of her in the coop in the middle of the cold cold winter. I wish I would have taken more pictures. She loved to free range. She stayed inside at night and would open her cage door in the morning and call Freddy to 'break out" too. then they would mosey around a little and then beg at the front door to go outside. i would let them out and they would mosey all over the yard. Just last week I had the screen door shut and Cochy decided she was going out and she jumped through the screen, which was already broken from the dog doing the same thing. Freddy would try to lead her around but she would have none of it, she went where she wanted and Fred had to follow. Just this picture makes me so sad that sweet little face of hers. I wish I had a better pic.

[​IMG]

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I fed her too many treats. From now on whichever chickens I have I am going to be very careful not to do that.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    She was very lovely. [​IMG]

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry Kris!

10. DEVILDOG