My beloved Ellie is gone :(

Discussion in 'Geese' started by SummerChick, Dec 21, 2013.

1. SummerChick

SummerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Somerset, Texas
    I haven't been on BYC in a couple of weeks because i couldn't even talk about what happened.
    I came home from work, just like any other day but just saw Lucy standing at the feed dish. I started calling for Ellie, looking around for her, looked everywhere possible, then my heart sank.... Where can my sweet Ellie be??
    I then notice there were some chickens missing as well. Then noticed chicken feathers lying in a few spots. Oh no! Oh no! What happened? I looked and looked for my Ellie but no clues at all. No goose feathers, no blood. I then noticed one of the little pullets laying in a pile if leaves, breathing but not moving, I picked her up and saw she was missing feathers along her back and smelled like dirty dog drool. I washed her and gave her some meds, put her in a box inside to stay warm.
    Back outside calling for Ellie, my heart is broke. My other goose seems to oblivious as to what happened., I'm thinking she must have been in the goose house laying an egg although there was no egg that day.. As the sun was setting I noticed a little chicken head pop up from behind the shed, I thought I was seeing things... Snatched up the chicken and noticed her neck was missing feathers and was kinda raw looking, took her in and cleaned and gave meds as well. Never found my sweet Ellie and only one chicken was missing, and had to be my favorite chicken.
    Ellie could fly pretty good so I am hoping she got away but the bad thing is, if she survived what happened that day, could she survive out there alone? I didn't go to work for 4 days and looked all around the back woods. , no feathers. Nothing.... My Ellie is gone :(

It's been 2 to 3 weeks now and Lucy is kind of lonely. I think she wonders where Ellie went off to... She never seemed sad or depressed, that is why I think she did not witness whatever happened. I found a friend for Lucy and will get her/him Sunday.

In loving memory of Ellie

[​IMG]

2. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    So sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    So sorry about your loss - she was beautiful

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm so sorry for your loss [​IMG] roaming dogs or coyotes most likely. They will be back as I'm sure you know. Be ready.

5. SummerChick

Mar 4, 2010
    Somerset, Texas
    Thank you everyone, yes I am taking more precautions and only let the out when I am there.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's so scary and can happen so fast and so quietly. Please post when you get your new goose so we can see, Hope it all works out and Lucy likes her/him. .

7. SummerChick

Mar 4, 2010
    Somerset, Texas
    Thanks miss Lydia, I'm a little worried about their meeting and I know has to be a slow introduction. I was planning on dividing the goose house for sleeping but Lucy has her nest in the back, I guess I'll move her nest to the front side and let the new goose in the back then put up a fence between them so they can see each other, for night. The person isn't sure if she has a goose or gander but thinks its a gander but it's name is Gretchen. Will post pics soon!

8. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    I am so sorry for you loss of Ellie and know how your heart feels!!!!

9. SummerChick

Mar 4, 2010
    Somerset, Texas
    Thanks Ruru and everyone who posted

10. dwink2

dwink2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2013
    NC Kansas
    I am so very sorry for your loss. They have a way of stealing our hearts and can't imagine going through your terror. I hope that the new addition settles in nicely and they are in love soon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by