My beloved rooster seems to be dying... HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tashideleg, May 13, 2010.

1. tashideleg

tashideleg In the Brooder

May 13, 2010
    He is a six year old RIR and seems to be experiencing paralysis. He will stand if I help him up but can't walk without falling or flailing. He is a wonderful bird and I would appreciate any advice that could help him. I forced him to take some fishoil, avian charge and activated charcoal. I have him isolated and in a crate in jy house. He's lying forward on his chest, with his tail stuck up in the air, his claws are clenched or retracted. He opens his eyes when I speak to him or touch him but mostly seems really wiped out. Please help!!!!

2. auntieLisa

auntieLisa In the Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Northern California
    what does his poo look like? That's where I start.
    Is it possible that he got into some sort of poison? By the description of his feet being clenched it sounds neurological.

3. tashideleg

May 13, 2010
    after I gave him the oil he pooped out a clearish puddle with a white center. i massaged his crop and it's not impacted- he does have mites (I saw them on his skin as I was taking care of him- yuck, poor guy.)

4. tashideleg

May 13, 2010
    He lives in a big fenced in yard with three coops and about 60 hens- I don't think he could have encountered poison but i wonder about botulism? It's SAD! he's a sweet guy- lets me pick him up...

5. auntieLisa

May 4, 2008
    Northern California
    Quote:I have read that mites will kill a bird. I have read to put vaseline on the legs this smothers the mites and they die. As for his poo. The white you describe is likely the urates (pee) it is the white stuff on the poo. It all comes out solid when normal. I am by no means all that experienced. But his poo should not be clear liquid. Have you seen any blood in the poo? When was the last time you wormed him? A major worm infestation can cause problems too.
    Edit: if he has mites he likely has worms too.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  6. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Quote:I know with Raptors, when you start seeing clear mutes (poo) it's the equivalent of diarrhea.. try to get fluids in there -

otherwise, you're on the right track as far as I can tell.

If he's special, perhaps a Vet may have something that will help him.

Good luck

7. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Songster

If he has bad enough mite to be causing this illness/weakness, you should dust him with poultry or sevin dust. The advice about worming and fluids is also sound.

8. tashideleg

May 13, 2010
    he does seem to be feverish- his head is turned all the way to the left. I feel terrible about this but I've never wormed my chickens- I guess i didn't know that I had to. It makes sense... so sad. there's no vet within a few hours of where i live. I thought he would die this afternoon and he's still hanging on. boo hoo.

9. tashideleg

May 13, 2010
    thank you all for your advice- can anyone think of anything I could do tonight?

10. auntieLisa

May 4, 2008
    Northern California
    Quote:If he is for real feverish he is fighting off an infection. An infection can be due to a number of things. If it is worms he could be having a secondary infection from the infestation. You are doing the right thing to bring him in away from the other birds and to protect him from them and the elements. He needs fluids like the other poster suggested due to diarrhea and fever (dehydration). If you decide to try and worm him only use this: Ivomec Eprinex- blue box- spot on treatment. It is not listed for poultry only cattle but it's okay. I was given this info on good authority. Also for secondary infection you may want to try Tylan antibiotic. Call the number on the bottle of Tylan they have a vet on staff (I Called) they will give you the right dosage. Usually though if there are worms giving a problem the diarrhea is foamy as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: