1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My best chicken purchase so far.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Remudamom, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

I got a small animal play yard with a cover. When my new chicks were brand new I set it up in the house and put them inside the pen in a box with the cover on. They could not get out of the box and the cats couldn't get inside of the pen.

Now that they are a little bigger and can't squeeze out of the bars they are in the chicken coop with a couple of heat lamps and the cover still on, to keep more heat in and to keep the adult chickens who share the coop out.

Not only are they safe, but they are getting acquainted with their future coop-mates.

I can introduce them to outside with this pen. When I get a broody I can pen her up in the coop safely away from the others. It's like having an extra coop!

Got it on Amazon. I think it's designed for ferrets, but it's chicken good too!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Sounds great.

My best chicken purchase was the automatic door opener from Foy's. Well worth EVERY penny.

3. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Cool! So your chickens are released at a certain time every morning and it closes up at night?? That is too handy! I'd be sleeping in!

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, it is very handy - but I don't sleep in. My natural alarm clock (my welsummer rooster) wakes me up, but I'm an early riser anyway - I woke up this morning before he did!

It has an adjustable light sensor. So when it gets dark, it closes and it opens in the morning when light enough. And it works off of batteries, so no need for electricity in your coop.

We live in a high predator area and didn't want to have to rely on friends closing up for us when we were out of town - so we bought it and it's worked without a single problem. I change the batteries once a year, to be on the safe side.

5. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    How much does an automatic door cost?

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by