My best hatch so far! Pic and video!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Buster, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I just had an 83% hatch in my Hovabator 1588. My best hatch for chicken eggs before this was 25%. I have been trying different things for months to try to get a better hatch rate and I'm finally on the right track. I hatched 10 out of 12 and 2 could still hatch tomorrow- I'm waiting to see. These are mostly buff Orps and Buff Orp/marans crosses. One is a black Orp cross from a project I am working on and one is probably a splash orp/marans cross.

Here they are!

[​IMG]

Excuse all the red from the heat lamp on this video:
    [​IMG]

2. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been trying different things for months to try to get a better hatch rate and I'm finally on the right track.

Inquiring minds want to know - what did you do that got you on the right track? Were these eggs shipped in or ... ?

Thx!​

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    How fun!

They are beautiful.

You must have a big coop or lots of room for chickens with all that you hatch or will be hatching.

Do you sell chickens?

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

These eggs were from my own eggs. I forgot to mention that they had also been through two different 4 hour power outages.

I raised the humidity in the incubator to 75%. I would not recommend that for everyone, it's just what worked for me in this high and dry mountain climate.

5. BeardedChick

I raised the humidity in the incubator to 75%. I would not recommend that for everyone, it's just what worked for me in this high and dry mountain climate.

You mean during hatch or incubation??

What was your humidity during incubation?

I'm in CO and it's sooo dry here.​

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    They look great! Congrats on such a fantastic hatch! My fingers will stayed crossed for the last 2. [​IMG]

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:I have lots of room and a good setup.

I want to sell chicks in the spring so I am "practicing" right now. In addition to that, people frequently come by and ask to buy some of my birds that they see free ranging in the yard. By practicing incubating and hatching these chicks, even if they are "mutts", I will have birds that I won't have a problem letting go of. There are many birds here that are simply not for sale.

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:You mean during hatch or incubation??

What was your humidity during incubation?

I'm in CO and it's sooo dry here.

I mean straight through the whole thing- 75% from setting them to hatching them.

9. BeardedChick

Oh wow. Good to know. Thanks for the info. [​IMG]

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Congrats!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by