My best layer has stopped laying! Why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by banananutmuffin, Nov 27, 2011.

1. banananutmuffin

banananutmuffin Out Of The Brooder

My red sexlink hasn't laid an egg for 5 days. She used to lay every single day without fail. All the other birds (EE, Australorp, Prod Red) continue to lay as usual.

She doesn't look ill. She eats fine, runs over and digs in when I toss scraps, is the first to jump over the fence to free range, doesn't seem listless. Her eyes are bright, feathers are all fluffy and nice, everything looks good. No sneezing, runny eyes, or anything like that either.

She was a spring chicken, and doesn't appear to be molting.

Any ideas?

2. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Sometimes they just take a little break. My speckled sussex appears to be doing the same, though we free range them during the day and she could be laying elsewhere. Is that a possibility? They can also stop due to illness, lice or mites, and maybe she's just being effected by the shorter days or change in weather.

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Could be getting ready to molt - my pullets never looked liked they were molting, but they were, kind of odd, but they would stop laying and I would fine the occasional feathers laying around.

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Also, do yours birds have light 14 hours a day? If not, definitely the shorter days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by