1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My best little girl just died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crazychick26201, Jul 5, 2016.

1. crazychick26201

crazychick26201 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    West Virginia
    Hi. Just had to tell somebody that I lost my favorite hen this morning. She had advanced peritonitis. I had to have her euthanized. She just went off her food yesterday and was acting lethargic. Of course this was the 4th of July. No vet around. So I took her first thing this morning and nothing could be done. I feel like the worst chicken momma in the world. How could I not have caught this? She was eating, preening, dust bathing, and eagerly eating treats just day before yesterday. I am afraid my other three will get this too. Please be kind. I am heartbroken. She was just three.

2. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm very sorry for your loss. Please don't feel bad. Chickens hide their illnesses until they just can't anymore. That's just what they do. And honestly, even if you had noticed earlier there is nothing you could have done to cure her if she was laying internally. I know it hurts...but you gave her a great home and life and should take comfort in that. Hugs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by