My Biddy Boudoir is almost ready! Questions?

lhayes1976

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
Louisville, KY
I have two girls(Olivia and Hazel) and my coop and run are almost finished. Just need to add the roost and some type of feeding/watering setup. Now for the questions.
Since the coop will be completely enclosed, do I need to have a chicken door that closes? I was going to go with a PVC feeder and waterer outside--do they have to have food and water in the coop too? I bought a boot tray at Deals, and would love to see some pics of how others have made their roosts using these. Also, can their roost be in front of a window that will be covered with hardware cloth? I am so excited, hopefully I can finish over the long holiday weekend,

Last edited:
Quote:
It would be a lot safer. In hot climates where people have 'coops' that are 3 or 4 sides of just mesh, obviously all you CAN do is rely on the security of that construction, but it is waaaaay harder to fully and lastingly predatorproof a run-type construction than an enclosed henhouse, so if you HAVE the latter, it will improve the longevity of your chickens if you lock them in there every night.

For evidence that it is waaaay easier to THINK you have a totally predatorproof run than it is to actually have it BE totally predatorproof, spend some time browsing the 'something ate my flock' threads in the Predators and Pests section of the forum, and notice that a significant number of those people were just SURE nothing could ever possibly get into the run.

I was going to go with a PVC feeder and waterer outside--do they have to have food and water in the coop too?

It depends on your situation. If you will shut them in at night and won't always be able to let them out at daybreak, it's good to have at least water indoors, preferably food also. If there is any possibility of a rat or mouse problem developing, you want your food INDOORS not out (or take it away every night). There are a lot of other variables too. It depends so much on your particular situation. Figure out what seems most sensible, then do that
smile.png

Also, can their roost be in front of a window that will be covered with hardware cloth?

Absolutely, as long as you can close the window off (with plexiglass or something like that) during cold weather.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

Thanks Pat, After more research, I think I will put the food and water in the coop. Hopefully it won't be as messy as it's been in the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom