My Big Bertha

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peaceneedslove, Mar 12, 2015.

1. peaceneedslove

peaceneedslove Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2015
    Bertha is just a big, 12 lb white chicken, has lost all her feathers from her breast bone, belly and but. What could be causing this?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Is Big Bertha a Cornish X meat chicken? See photo: If so, by genetics her bone structure cant support her weight causing what you're observing. Meat birds are normally slaughtered for their meat at 6 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  3. peaceneedslove

Feb 23, 2015
    That looks like her. I had another, Gumbo that died all of a sudden. Gumbo was a little heavier then Bertha. I also noticed what seems like she's sneezing instead of kackling. What can I do to help her?

4. peaceneedslove

Feb 23, 2015
    I'm more worried about her not having feathers....

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's their weight that kills them, it's too much on their system including their organs ie; heart, kidney, liver etc...
    Cornish X's simply dont live long like most other types of chickens.
    Your hen is probably resting and sleeping on the ground or the floor of the coop most of the time. She weighs too much to stand and her legs will no longer support her weight to stand. This is what's causing loss of feathers on the breast bone and belly. As far as the feather loss on her rear end, it's probably due to feces running down her rear end...she is unable to stand and poop, the poop would normally clear her rear end and hit the ground. Sitting and laying on damp or wet ground doesnt help neither. This can cause mold or fungal spores to cause sneezing. If there's a dusty environment, that can cause sneezing as well. Ammonia fumes from feces can cause sneezing also.
    If you want to treat her, you can start by ensuring her rear end is clear and free from feces. Purchase Nu-Stock in the equine section at your feed store and apply it on the breast bone, belly and rear end. If you decide to purchase Nu-Stock, shake the tube well, wear disposable gloves and apply it on the affected areas as needed. It smells like Pine Sol, but it's all natural and should clear up the redness within a weeks time, apply as necessary. Keep in mind that this will be an ongoing problem due to weight.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  6. peaceneedslove

Feb 23, 2015
    Thanks. It has rained here every day for the last week and half. I want to totally revamp the hen house and fenced yard. I don' want to use hay anymore, but I'm just learning. I hope to take it all out and use pine needles, then layer DE and sand layered that way. For the ground I'm gonna get a load of sand and just scoop the poop. I've used hay and it is smelling bad but I don't want them walking around in mud. I made the hen house off the ground cause of floods, using the very small wire and the yard with reg. sized chicken wire. I don't want to worry about snakes. It's a work in progress. I just realized my hens will be 1 yr old next month. Family think I spoil them. I will check out the Nu-stock. Don't be surprised if I post a pic of me walking Bertha : ) : )

7. peaceneedslove

Feb 23, 2015
    How come this thing says I'm off line when I'm on it???

8. peaceneedslove

Feb 23, 2015
    Well Im getting off now. Thanks. Hard to type with a broken pinke......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by