My BIG BIG VERY light Dewlaps from Wapsi!!!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Calebs Acre, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    I got four dewlap babies from Dennis at Wapsi Waterfowl back at the beginning of June. They have been the sweetest little ones. But they are MONSTER BIG and they are so light in color.

Even DENNIS thinks that are huge...so I decided to share a few photos. He thinks maybe they are from a buff mommy. What do you guys think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Hmmm...they look like lavendar/blue buffs almost?

Here's what mine looked like at about that age - they came from Patty in Maryland...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Aw now i want to hatch me some out [​IMG]

why does spring have to be so far away!..lol

Beautiful birds

4. Calebs Acre

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    You have GREAT TASTE if you got yours from Patty! One of the greys in the edges of the photo is from Patty! I have two dews and two sebbies (including one that might be lavender) from her.

It's going to be fun to watch these guys grow and continue to color. I am almost 6 feet tall and about 290, so I am BIG when you compare that meaty hand (ring size 13) to their head!!!

I love your photo....I'm so happy you posted it!

5. Calebs Acre

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    If you're in Maryland, you're in the right place. LOL. You have Patty in Upper Marlboro!! She has giant toulouse dewlaps and sebastopols both.

I'm going to hope to have babies this spring!!! It's so exciting. Don't they must look so soft and fluffy? I have my two youngest that I keep close to the back door (Dew and Don't) and I sometimes run outside just to pick them up and squeeze them! They think I am crazy and they are right!!

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    How old are your geese?

I have 2 giant buff dewlap toulouse I hatched from MotherGoose that are 7 weeks old and already starting to show their dewlap. They are large geese. I am fairly certain I hatched a pair.

I am very pleased with mine. I bought the eggs as my mother's day gift to myself.

I am hoping to get more next spring.

7. Calebs Acre

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    The geese in the photo were born around 5/30/08....sooo...about 8 weeks? There are bigger than two of my adult female dewlaps!

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Then you must also have the 'giant' variety.

I have a flock of giant embdens also. They are 8 weeks old and larger than my barnyard mutt geese I hatched back in March.

I like BIG birds and tend to go with the supersized varieties as opposed to the more standard breeds.

9. Calebs Acre

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    OK, BIG IGNORANCE SHOWING HERE.....is there a difference between "Dewlap Toulouse" and "Giant Dewlap Toulouse"? Oh, no! Something ELSE I don't know?

10. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Hmm...don't know really. I think almost everyone's stock came from Holderread's originally, and they call them Giants. I know Dennis got his from down South right? But I think that parent stock came from Holderread's. And I know Patty got her's from Holderread's.

At any rate - they are gorgeous! [​IMG]

I have been trying to decide what I want to order for next year - I will probably get one pair of gray dewlaps and maybe one pair of embdens. I already have the American Buffs coming because I didn't get them this year and I HAVE to have some more gray runners - and maybe some chocolates....

LOL...am I addicted? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by