My big chicken coop(new with outdoor run pics)

mestaske

Chirping
12 Years
Feb 14, 2011
Southern Colorado
Here is my coop. The outside was done with recycled tin from a falling down building this winter. The windows I found laying around in some old buildings as well as the door. Before the coop was wood and not wind proof. There were just wire windows and it gets really cold here, -20's, so at least the tin will keep out the breeze. I am planning on painting a chicken mural on the right of the door and some sunflower heads to the left.
Chickensncows014.jpg

Here is the side of the coop. I still have to paint the window trim. These were old sliding glass doors I found laying around that I wanted to use as windows and they really bring a lot of light in inside, the chickens love to look out the windows(look at the right window, chicken sunbathing). Also this side is where I am going to do the outdoor run. You can see where the door is going to be on the far left. Behind the coop is part of the corrals.
Chickensncows008.jpg

Chickensncows006.jpg

Chickensncows003.jpg

I also plan to use styrofoam for insulation and put particle board throughout the whole inside, hopefully that will all get done this summer.

Tell me what you think!

Thanks.

DSC01487.jpg

DSC01488.jpg

DSC01489.jpg

Still have to clean up around and the 2 x 4 s are for the top, I want to make a cover.

DSC01486.jpg

The neighbors

Last edited:
I think it looks interesting - what great use of sunlight. Like the contrast of the worn metal and the shiny windows too. Great use of recyclables. Imagine buying all those windows that size brand new - would be crazy expensive. You have heating in there too (lamp). That's some deluxe housing. -20 - where do you live? I've been using a sealed hard plastic dog bed heater for my chickens and ducks. Only my one roo prefers to roost, the rest huddle in a chicken/duck pile on the dog warmer. It's nice because I can spray it off with the hose. Oh the chicken projects are never ending aren't they. Many upgrades in store for spring. I never get around to making it fancy - but doing a mural sounds like so much fun.

I think it is going to be awesome! I would love to have that much room for my girls. I have worked in a metal sided building in a cold climate and it normally was about 10 to 20 degrees colder inside than out and an oven in the summer. For that reason I would recommend the insulation that you were talking about. I will subsrcribe to this too follow your progress. Good Luck

Very nice. But PLEASE make sure you have good ventalation! My girls were in an aluminum shed last summer and we lost several to the heat. It was like an oven in there. And when they went in to lay they would die from the heat. And that was with vents and the entire front side completely open. We ended up building a new coop. I would definitely insulate.

Thanks. Originally I wanted to tear the building down and build me a nice little chicken coop, I started to do this and got in trouble though... You can see where I put metal on the inside to hide the walls. The building is pretty old, it does get cold but the chickens love to huddle on the roost at night together. I did have more chickens but we have been killing the roosters(you can see the loss of feathers on my chicks butts), 3 died of disease(I medicated them all to get better),and the chickens killed 3 of my turkeys(horrible). This summer I plan to get more hens plus guineas maybe. On ventilation, I am going to make a screen area inbetween the two large windows that I can open up during the summer plus they will be able to go outside. I live in a place called the Valley in southern Colorado, the elevation is actually higher than Denver but we are surrounded by mountains. It is the coldest area of the state. It is located south of the sand dunes and a bit north of Taos, NM.
Thanks on the purple door, i had to do something to make it look special.

Thanks on all the comments and advice,

Kateri

I love it! That would look great on my property. I love seeing the large chicken coops. I agree with NoseyChickens, please make sure that you have good ventilation. I have aluminum on my sheds but I have open air coops but I'm always worried about those 100 degree summer days in Louisiana.

How many chickens do you have? My flock would love that.

Back
Top Bottom