My BIG ducks... Love them!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by buzymom13, Jul 9, 2010.

1. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    My ducks are getting so BIG... they are about 7 wks old and we had to build a bigger "inside" are for them at nite. (I'm still too afraid to let them outside overnite)

[​IMG]

Our new pen inside for them at nite....the kids helped me put it together.

[​IMG]

Trigger and Nutsy in their pen

[​IMG]

When is it "ok" to let them stay out overnite or is it always good to bring them inside at nite. We have a very secure, cement slab foundation, cinderblock house that I bring them into at nite right now.

2. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    If there's a lot of nightime predators in your area(eg.owls, foxes, etc.) it's probably better to keep them inside at night:)

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    They're so pretty! I would definitely take them in every night. Oh, there's such a long list of night predators....raccoons, possums, skunks, weasels......and the list goes on!

Lovely pics! Thanks for sharing them.

Sharon

4. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    beautiful ducks!!

I agree, I always bring my ducks in at night, even my full grown Mallards. I've had a coon get one of my ducks in her pen(last year) and it broke my heart. My ducks all have enclosed "bedrooms" (large dog boxes LOL) inside their pen and they go into them every evening between 8 and 8:30 pm, then I close and lock the doors on them.

Michelle

5. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

Thankx guys! I don't feel so "different" since some of you say you take yours in each nite. My neighbors lost 2 ducks to a coon so I'm a bit apprehensive about predators.

[​IMG] Thankx for the compliments. We're new to ducks but we are thinking that our duo are pretty darn adorable.

[​IMG]

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    They are lovely - keep them in at night.

7. LuckyDuck411

LuckyDuck411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    How Cute... love the night time set up. I can't believe they are only 7 wks. We have 3 two week old Pekins and I can't believe how fast they are growing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by