My Big Fat Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdoane, Aug 28, 2013.

1. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    So I have two English Orpington Chicks (3 weeks old). One is a porker. I think she thinks she is a meat bird. She is ROUND. She is heavier (rounder but shorter) than my Barred Rock and Gold Sex Link who are a few days older and way further along in development. I don't notice her eating more than the other chicks and she is quite active but I do notice she does things like lie down to eat (not always - just sometimes). Is this something I need to be concerned about - or can we just keep laughing?

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    keep laughing [​IMG]

3. speedyfuzzball

speedyfuzzball Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    Pictures? :)

4. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Ok. So today was their 3 week birthday so I did new pictures and weights (really just started doing weights because of little Fatty here. Her real name is Bella but we have taken to calling the two English Orpington's - Fatty and the Peanut! She hasn't gained anymore weight in the last day and the others are catching up. She's still 8 ounces as compared to 7 with my two bigger birds!

[​IMG]
    Aerial Shot so you can see how much rounder she is. Hedwig on Left and Bella on right

[​IMG]
    They look the same size here but they really aren't! LOL. But I had to show you their faces.

[​IMG]
    Pretty Hedwig. She supposed to be a splash but she is looking pretty consistently light blue.

[​IMG]
    Big Fuzzy Bella! She almost always sits down for pictures. We were hoping she was going to be a Dark Blue but I'm thinking all black (although maybe still a chance of black up top and blue underneath)

[​IMG]
    Just for comparison. This is Jiji - Barred Rock. 2 days older than Bella and weighs less!!!

5. speedyfuzzball

speedyfuzzball Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    Aww they're adorable!! Bella reminds me of my girl, Lucina, when she was a baby. She was always the biggest and still is xD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by