my big fat chicken fight good news!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by littlegorb, Jan 20, 2010.

1. littlegorb

littlegorb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Republic of Bayard
    for those interested in my situation can refer to my previous threads. the nebraska equal opportunity commissioners met last friday with my case on their agenda. they found that discrimination did occur, that the fair housing act has been violated. i will have 3 options, get my own lawyer, public hearing, or the state attorney general will represent me. the city attorney may offer to settle before that. i am very happy about this decision but not sure what to do.

sonoransilkies you usually have great advise, as well as horsejody. may want to chime in again? thanks everybody for having faith!

2. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    do you happen to have the link or know the name of your previous post? i want to find out what it was all about! [​IMG]

3. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I think the previous thread was called: My Big Fat Chicken Fight

Great news! I can't suggest what would be the best option for you, but I'm really glad to see things working in your favor. [​IMG]

4. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    Whoo Hoo girl!!! Good news for sure. Do you think you'd get a fair shake with the State Atty General? If he's up for re-election it might make his name. Do some research, would they charge you or do pro bono? Check out all your options, I'm so happy for you!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Slinky

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:I think you neeed to know the parameters of each option. Hiring your own attorney is obvious. Who would represent you at a public hearing? Who makes teh ruling/judgement? And to what extent can either side appeal? As for the Attorney General, what can you find out about him and his personal feelings on this kind of situation? How likely is he to present a strong case, and is it actually the Attorney General, or merely his/her officethat would represent you?

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:THe problem with that is that he would make a name for himself with people on either side of the issue--do you really want someone who is preparing his case by watching the polls?

7. littlegorb

Apr 22, 2009
    Republic of Bayard
    there are alot of attorneys who work with the attorney general, so it would most likely be one of them. i'm not sure about the appeals process. in a public hearing i would have to have my own attorney and it is held by the commission.
    i did speak with an attorney, he told me not to sign anything, and that i don't have to make a decision right now. he wants to see my letter from the commission when it gets here. it sounds like he is interested.
    the city is obviously worried as they contacted the commission to find out their decision, before getting their letter. that is why the commission called me today, in case they want to settle with me. deep down i really want to teach them a lesson, i never asked for much.. but i have been ostrisized, humiliated, jailed, and ignored.
    i know that the attorney general's office is competent, i just don't know how they feel about cases like this. and do i want to put it in their hands?
    nebraska attorney general is John Bruning.

8. littlegorb

Apr 22, 2009
    Republic of Bayard
    Quote:THe problem with that is that he would make a name for himself with people on either side of the issue--do you really want someone who is preparing his case by watching the polls?

i don't think there would be a charge, and he has been elected twice i believe.

9. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    doesn't your state also have a 'right to farm' law on the books? i would imagine you could also bring that up if they keep squawking about the chicken keeping for others in your area.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by