My big fat hens keep knocking my nesting boxes over

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stone_family3, Oct 8, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Originally had crates, thought they were small so went to stackables bins. They are sitting on top of the crates, yet for some reason my hens push them over after laying an egg. I watched the hens intentionally do this today.

The bins are plastic so I'm afraid if I screw them into the wall they'll crack. Here is a pic of what the bins look like. How would you make them more heavy so they can't tip them over?

They're not stacked and they don't have wheels, but this is basically what the bin looks like.
    [​IMG]
    organizeeverything1_2180_2522367177 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

2. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Get some screw-eyelets and mount them in the wall,then use cable-ties or wire to fasten the bins to the eyes. Easy to do,no cracked bins and you can cut the ties or wire when you need to move the bins.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If you just want to make them heavier, cut 3/4 or 1" plywood to fit inside the bottom - just lay it in there under your nest bedding. Or just put a nest box shelf (just a plywood plank) in your coop, and one screw each would hold the bins onto the plank.

4. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll go back out tomorrow when it's light to see what would work best.

5. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    Call me old school, but I use 5 gallon buckets for nest boxes. I use 1x4 lumber cut with a jigsaw screwed just inside the lip to keep nesting material from being pushed out. I also screw the bucket to the wall to anchor it. I raise LF brahmas and plight and coronation Sussex. Both are really large breeds and have no trouble entering and turning around. My silkies and cochins will pile up as many as six or seven in one bucket. They are cheap and most people have several just laying around. Here is the only pic I have that has a shot of a nest bucket in it.
    [​IMG]

6. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Well I used some hooks and zip ties. They girls hopped around in them and none were tipped over. So hopefully this will stop them from using the rabbit hutch and food over spill as their laying spots.

7. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    i threw a brick in the bottom of my crates and stuffed it with straw [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by