My big roo and the little mama...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Selena, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Selena

Selena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Port Orchard, WA
    These are some pics my friend took when she came to visit the other day. I got these birds from my folks.

Ol' Red (though my Pa calls him Adolf. He's got a strange walk. Must be the huge spurs.)

[​IMG]

Little Mama
    [​IMG]

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Very pretty [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    That roo is extra handsome and the little brahma hen is really nice too. [​IMG]

4. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    how cute

5. lilarabookworm

lilarabookworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    they are adorable:jumpy

6. Selena

Selena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Port Orchard, WA
    Thank you all!

The first time we saw Adolf at Ma and Pa's farm, my DH fell in love with him. I'd been wanting chickens for a few years and always got a "no". That trip he said yes to bringing home a rooster. We left with a rooster and 4 hens. Now, 2 years later, we have Adolf (they were going to send him to the soup pot because they don't want roosters anymore!) a few of his kids and a bunch of hens. Oh, and 2 guineas. [​IMG]

Well, my 2 guineas have been anxious to join in with the main flock for a few months. I finally succumbed and put them in. They've become best friends with Little Mama. I can only think that she reminds them of their sibling Gimpy. They're similar in colors and sizes at this time, and Little Mama seems to like them more than her usual tolerance.

(Gimpy the Guinea had a twisted foot and slightly contorted body. She lived for 3 months, before we lost her and my 2 RIR pullet babies to a wild storm.)

The guineas are somewhat bullies too, which fit in with Little Mama. I had a choice word for her when we were first given her. Now the three of them kinda remind me of The Plastics in "Mean Girls". Little Mama is Regina, and the guineas are the dumb sidekicks.
    [​IMG]
    They sure are pretty though!

Edit: I'll have to post pics of Little Mama's babies. I don't remember what other hens my folks had, but they had a silkie roo. Ever see a silkie/brahma mix? One is colored a bit like a Dark Brahma, another like a golden Brahma, and the others...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by