My big roo is in a bad way

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MommaOrp, Jun 16, 2011.

1. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    I've noticed my big blue orp roo thunder is not well, he seems to be going down hill. He doesn't have nasal discharge or sneezing but his eyes look a bit swollen, his left eye has all this white goo (not foamy, its thick goo) in it, i bathed it and got it all cleaned up last night but it's back again today, he also has an injured leg from fighting with another roo and this does not look to be any better at all after 5 days in quarantine. I've treated him with tylan soluble for 3 days, finished 2 days ago. He's still eating and drinking but he doesn't seem himself at all, he is 1yr old. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Sorry I don't. Hopefully a chicken expert will come on here and help though...

3. MommaOrp

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    I hope so! I'm very worried about him [​IMG]

4. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    Need pictures if you can get them. How bad is the injured leg? Maybe the leg caused a blood infection? Is there anymore symptoms?

Here's a link to a list of diseases poultry can get, it has a very useful symptom cross reference chart at the bottom.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  5. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    no I don't know for sure, but i wonder if three days of antibiotic was enough. we humans usually get them for at least a week. also if it was only in the water then the dosage depended on him drinking enough water, which me may not have done if he is not feeling well. if you feel he is getting worse and the infection is still present, maybe you could try the injectable tylan shots, that way you control the dosage. sounds like he may need some help or at least use the ta=ylan in the water for a longer period of time. give him some electrolyte solution in his water, not with the antibiotic, for strenght. good luck

6. MommaOrp

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Today Thunder has bright green runny poop. I've not seen this before. Only the one eye seems to be infected. His leg was injured after i noticed his eye, there are not exterior wounds and the leg feels fine. I can get a tylan shot from the vet but this is going to cost me a fortune (that i don't have). Pictures will follow shortly. I hope i can make him better before its too late [​IMG]

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I just noticed your location - I think there you do need a prescription for injectible tylan? If not, it's very easy to do yourself if you can stomach it. I am not sure what meds you guys have available over the counter.. [​IMG] As for the bright green poop, that's normal for a chicken that's not eating well - had that in one of mine when she wasn't eating due to internal laying.

Can you get ophthalmic ointment like terramycin?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm not sure there is professional help nearby at your location so if you are able, hurry to call Peter Brown at First State Vet Supply (http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/). He is very knowledgeable and can send you the meds you need. There is a nominal fee for a consult with him but if the meds (and or other supplies you order from him) reach a modest level, the fee is totally waived. The downside is that it takes time for these things to arrive by mail, but it may save your dear roo, and others in the future.

While you wait for the meds to arrive, bolster your roo's nutrition as much as you possibly can. You may need to order some stuff to do this (e.g. Avia Charge 2000, a nutritional supplement that goes in their water - one jar lasts a really really long time so is economical long term, or Rooster Booster, a product I haven't used but which is reportedly also great). You can see if your roo would accept some baby parrot feeding formula, highly nutritious. And/or live mealworms, which they love dearly.

In a pinch, while waiting for on line nutritional supplement orders to arrive, you could administer 3 drops Polyvisol liquid childrens vitamins daily, gently along his beak line with dropper, so he swallows on his own and doesn't choke. The stuff tastes like crud so follow with some tasty treats he really loves, if he'll take them, e.g. a couple of cut up blueberries, or whatever he'll take.

I hope your roo will recover [​IMG] It's a very serious situation needing asap remedy.
    JJ

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  9. MommaOrp

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    I'm not sure what i can get here either, infact you have to go to a vet or doctor for pretty much anything. I have some eye wash solution, would that help? I can get the vitamins free as i have young children. I don't think he's eating much at the moment, ive given him some cheese as i thought this would give him a bit extra protein, is this any good?? What other foods may help? I don't know if this is related to disease but i don't think it is, i think he's got some sort of eye infection. As for his leg, it's just not recovering and the fact i don't know what he's done to it doesn't help. Is there anything else i can do for him?

10. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    antibiotics and some R and R

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by