My big rooster won't let my little rooster out of the coop....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bobby Joe, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Bobby Joe

Bobby Joe Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2010
    tupelo,ms
    I have a big roo about 18 mnths old and a young roo about 6 months old every time the little one comes out of the chicken shed the big one runs him back in what do I do....?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Is there a reason you need two roosters?

3. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Your big rooster is just letting the younger one know he is in charge. If you are planning on keeping both, it has been my experience that once your younger one gets about the same size as the other, they will figure out where everyone stands. May get bloody, may not. I have had an overthrow were neither were bloodied, which is always a good day. Once they settle into their roles, things should settle down as long as the one on bottom accepts the position. Pretty roos BTW

4. Bobby Joe

Dec 16, 2010
    tupelo,ms
    Do you think increasing the size of the run will help too? I guess I don't need both but my Dad gave the the little one and my DW picked out the big one so i dont want to get rid of either .....

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  5. Bobby Joe

Dec 16, 2010
    tupelo,ms
    I just increased my run from 10x10 to 10x30, I knew it wasnt big enough for the number or chickens I had just hadnt made it bigger due to the weather. When I got the fence up I decided to let the flock out and see how they liked it they all came out but the little roo " Elvis" ,I went in the shed and made him go out , not to my surprise he was met by the big roo "Jackson" . He didnt run inside like all the other times he flew up and sat on the top of the fence, I told him to get down from there and he did and went inside . I then put my "hawk out and chicken in" 30 lb test neon green line back and forth across the top ......WHEW.... that was a close one!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by