1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Biology chicken project!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by TommyDaDelaware, Jan 26, 2013.

1. TommyDaDelaware

TommyDaDelaware Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Central WI.
    For my Advanced Bio class, My friend and I have to do one big experiment. well...I decided to make it an EGG-Spiriment. Sorry for the HORRIBLE pun!! I figured I'd share my results with you....

What I do is I give the chickens light in the coop, above the food supply, and the laying boxes. Hoping that the extra light will stimulate them to ovulate and make eggs.

TODAY Is Night 2 of light.
    I collected eggs tonight, and instead of 3 eggs (Like yesterday) I got 2 and a half. One dark brown wind egg. (Probably the hen who was sick over the summer just came back into lay because of the light?)

2. TommyDaDelaware

Aug 24, 2012
    Central WI.
    Here is the Tiny "Wind-Egg" that Baldy (the hen who just came back) Laid... I hope she lays bigger than that once she gets fully recooped...

[​IMG]

Yes... that is a fork that it's next to.. I didn't have a free hand to take the pic with it in my hand, because I was talking on the phone and taking pictures... SO TINY!!

3. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Oh, gosh! Tiny, tiny egg! I do hope she'll lay a larger egg.

4. TommyDaDelaware

Aug 24, 2012
    Central WI.
    On night 3 of light we got 4 good sized eggs!!

Night 4 of light (Last night)
    We only got One. .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by