My bird bites me?

SportChick

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Louisiana
I recently adopted two conures. A 17 year old sun conure named Bill, and a 27 year old nanday conure named Puff. Bill is very social and will fly to my shoulder, but Puff isn't adjusting as well. He bites, frequently drawing blood, and screams when Bill leaves the room for too long. :( What would be the best way to gain Puff's trust? Thanks in advance!

Do you know how many homes Puff has had? Moving is very stressful for birds that have bonded with their previous owners and multiple homes can cause behavioural issues. Puff must be bonded to Bill to be stressed when he's gone too long. I'd sit with Bill near Puff and interact with Bill, give him treats, share your food with him and hope that Puff will follow Bill's lead and learn to trust you. If it's an issue taking Puff out of his cage then just leave him in there with the door open. Let him come around in his own time.

Do you know how many homes Puff has had? Moving is very stressful for birds that have bonded with their previous owners and multiple homes can cause behavioural issues. Puff must be bonded to Bill to be stressed when he's gone too long. I'd sit with Bill near Puff and interact with Bill, give him treats, share your food with him and hope that Puff will follow Bill's lead and learn to trust you. If it's an issue taking Puff out of his cage then just leave him in there with the door open. Let him come around in his own time.
Very good post!!!

Parrots can take a long time to learn to trust us. They have long lives and long memories! Dylan was 22 when I got her. (23 now) I did not even offer her my hand for a couple of weeks, unless there was food or treats in the fingers!
Conures are excitable, and very smart. Probably, they are bonded and afraid to be apart in this new place, like others have said. Make sure that only good things happen when you are there. No loud noises, running children, strangers. Just hang out, quietly.
Fingers are easy to bite! Offer an arm for stepping up -- an arm with a jeans jacket if necessary! Or use a wooden perch. When Puff does come near or step on the arm, favorite treats! Find out the most favorite treat, and never give it unless Puff steps up! Even give the treat to the friend when Puff steps up, they are smart and want the friend to have the treat!
Have the young bird step up, give the best treat, then offer it to Puff behind your jeans covered arm, Puff steps up, gets treat ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom