My bird Downy's life

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChickCraver, Jan 12, 2015.

1. ChickCraver

ChickCraver New Egg

Jan 12, 2015
    Late spring-early summer, i got a bunch of chickens eventually, my bird was a silver spangled hamburg i named Downy. The day after we got them i believe, was the day Downy was sick. She kept passing out, falling onto her beak. After that she was always sort of sick. She grew to be beautiful, and despite silver hamburgs being very skiddish, loved me as much as i loved her. I always spent time with her and helped her through hard times, which may be why she turned out to be the friendliest bird in the flock. Her comb was always grey, and her earlobes were always blue. But she toughed out of everything and ran up to anybody she saw wanting them to hold her...and then...the night before 2014 Christmas eve we lost her and never found her. I was crushed, but we went through a hole summer together, and she stayed alot longer than we expected. Were getting two hens and a rooster of her, so im hoping they will be as friendly as her...my Downy...ill never forget you...[​IMG]

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    You are soft like me.
    [​IMG]

Welcome [​IMG]

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I am so sorry that Downy disappeared. I know how you can form a special bond with a chicken when you nurse them back to health.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm very sorry about the loss of Downy. She sounds like a real sweetie. [​IMG]

5. ChickCraver

ChickCraver New Egg

Jan 12, 2015
    Thanks guys, im happy you understand my pain. Last time i told people about this they said i should fry her...[​IMG] I think about her whenever i go into the coop...she'll always have a special place in my heart...[​IMG]

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    People who don't have chickens just don't understand. That why there are some things that I come to this forum to share. Downy was a special hen.

7. threescompany

threescompany Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2014
    So sorry about your Downy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by