my birds are disappearing

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kmclay, May 25, 2010.

1. kmclay

kmclay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Kansas
    I'm pretty freaked out because something is very wrong with my flock(s). I had 2 male geese and 1 female, 1 male turkey and 1 female, and one rooster (banty, little guy) and maybe 15 hens. The female goose disappeared, the female turkey disappeared, and several chickens are gone as well. Yesterday, I walked into the chicken house and found our Barred Rock chicken on the floor with two awful bites taken out of her back. I put her up in a nest, and tried to take care of the wounds, but she died.

My dilemma is: is this the same thing? We thought coyotes were responsible for most of them, but what is up with the chicken on the floor of the hen house?

I am worried that our geese (two young male geese) are attacking the chickens since the female goose went missing. Do geese kill chickens? How could a chicken possibly get away from a coyote? It's a mystery and any advice is sooooooooooo welcome. I love the geese, but they can be mean mean mean.

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    sorry for your loss [​IMG] yes geese can be mean as far as your predator sorry can't help you.

3. kmclay

kmclay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Kansas
    Thanks. I'm awaiting more replies; but I can't believe how many people are on this site now. Wow. I'm about ready to grant my husband permission to shoot coyotes. I never ever never ever thought I'd see that day.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yes! By all means, let your husband shoot the coytes. They are predators and will get your birds. To be honest, when I started reading your post about the birds disappearing my first thought was coyotes. Could be a young one that had your hen and accidentally let her go and she made her way back to the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by