my birds aren't using the roosts

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bj taylor, Mar 25, 2012.

1. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    my 6 wk old birds pile up in a corner at night rather than get on the roost. they use the roost during the day for naps & such, but when it gets dark, they climb on top of each other. it's not cold (70 @ 9:00). will this sort itself out when they get older or do i have a problem i need to correct somehow?

2. jjakaus

jjakaus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    wyandotte, mi
    I always wondered about this too. Does it really matter whether or not they roost to sleep?

3. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    You have to teach them to use the roost sometimes. When it gets dark, pick them up and move them to the roost yourself. They will get the hang of it.

I recently had to do this with my adult leghorn. It only took one night and she is now the first one on the roost in the evening.

4. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    no, I guess it doesn't really matter. I'm just stubborn and want them to. ;)

5. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I agree that sometimes you need to set them on the roost after dark. At six weeks they may still be more comfortable sleeping huddled on the floor. Do they have a ramp to get up to the roost? Maybe it is too difficult for them to get up there until they get a little older.

6. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    thanks for the replys. i will try putting some of them on the roost & see how that goes. it's definitely not too high or steep. they use the roost all the time for napping or grooming & just hanging out. but at night it's just a pile of feathers in the corner.

7. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Mine are just now 6 weeks old, and only some of them sleep on the rooster. I'm not really pushing them because there are 5 week olds in with them and I'd rather teach them all at once. Also, the only have a small temporary roost because I haven't put up their permanent one yet. But I will be teaching them later.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  8. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Roost* not rooster. [​IMG][​IMG]Okay happy fingers, only as many letters as necessary, got it?

9. chick0dee

chick0dee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    This is funny because my husband and I have tried every size, shape, height, width, etc.for a roost [​IMG] and still can't our roosters or hens to roost!!! The are almost a year old...We cannot figure out WHY they prefer to PILE in the corner on the floor!! [​IMG]

10. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    My 6 and 7 week old babies sleep in a pile too, and I think it is adorable. I am not going to put them on a roost or anything since I figure they know what they are doing better than I do. They'll start roosting when they are ready. I am letting them behave in as natural a way as I can, since they're apparently doing what is comfortable for them. AND it looks so cozy. Piling up with your friends to sleep... nothing more bonding for a flock than that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by