My birds don't use their roost.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HeyBob, Jun 28, 2010.

1. HeyBob

HeyBob New Egg

May 11, 2010
    We have 112 aracunas and 4 bantams and they don't seem to like their roosts. They bunch up on the window sill or pile up in the corner on the floor. Often when they are outside in their run they will bunch up in a corner for a nap. Is this normal? They are about 8 weeks old.

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Pretty normal. I have some 9 week old chickens that haven't learned to roost yet. I've started putting them on the roost every night to teach them. I only have 4, so it only takes a minute. [​IMG]

3. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    mine took awhile, I think somewhere between 12 and 16weeks they realised that roost was all the way up there. They'll work it out.

Although, my ISA had a lower roost when she was youn and she used it at around 9weeks, but that roost was lower, and thinner than the big girls roost.

4. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] My 2years old rooster prefers to lie on a pile of straw & use a hen for his pillow![​IMG]

5. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    Maybe try putting in a lower roost mine worked their way up and maree [​IMG]

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yep, they'll learn. My pullets piled in a corner for the longest time. They were a year old before I finally got the nice big coop with roosts. They got the idea in a quick minute! My roosts aren't very high though......probably a bout 2 and a half feet high.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by