My birds have been...burgled?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JackieK318, Dec 24, 2007.

1. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    So, some major butthead stole my birds. All but the guineas. On Friday, my dad was over at my house letting some service men in. He called me to let me know the men arrived and he told me to hang on since he couldn't hear over the guineas. I asked if he let them out. He said no and I asked him to check the coop, considering I didn't let them out either. He goes down to check the coop, it looks secure from the outside - all doors shut, all windows closed, no holes - but no chickens. All 11 of my chickens gone. It had to have happened between Thursday night 8 pm after I changed their water and Friday 11 am. I think it was probably that morning since I didn't hear the guineas outside when I left for work.

As I don't know a raccoon or a coyote that shuts the door behind them (and it's a tough door to open and close), I'm thinking a two legged predator. Some people had been hanging around asking about my chickens - some just curious and wanting eggs in the spring - but one lady in a Ford Escape pulled in several times over the past couple months when I just got home from work (watching me I suppose) asking about the chickens, eggs and having them in the county. I suspect her, and I imagine she won't be around again...

The county police took a report and the sheriff of a neighboring county took a report, but nothing really will let me track them down. I'm to get a plate number of that one lady if she does come around again. Anyone is STL - blonde with black Escape and chickens - suspect her!!!

So, here I am, chickenless and pretty peed for Christmas. I suppose I'll just increase my order for next spring and put deadbolts on the windows, doors, hen door, etc. People sure are odd. If she asked me for a chicken or two, I'd probably have given them to her. I'm just that giving of a person. I just hope she takes good care of them and doesn't eat them!!! :mad:

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so sorry, people can be such butt heads. [​IMG]

Last spring someone stole my cat. This was back when there was a large pet food recall, I figured he must have been run over or had been poisened from the tainted pet food. This was back at Easter, well fast forward to July 3rd, get a call at work the local shelter that said they had my cat. So I go down and pick him up and was told that the "lady" who had dropped him off in West Valley had his license tag but not his collar. Guess they stole him (I live in Murray - the animal control person & I agree that there is no way he wandered off that far on his one - he's over 10 years old and been with me @ that house for 5+ years) and had tired of him. It all turned out in the end in that when I thought he was "gone" I went ahead and got a couple of chicks from the local feed store.

So I guess what I am trying to say, though it may be hard right now, things really have a way of turning out for the best IF we let it. [​IMG]

[​IMG] I hope they turn back up soon, she may find out she took on more then she could handle, and has the good sense to do the right thing. [​IMG]

3. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

I am so sorry to hear this.

Tonya

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That is terrible! It really sucks when we have to even lock up chickens!!! One good thing about semi skittish chickens is that if you can't catch them, nobody else can!

5. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    some people are so stupid. .hope the true story comes out.

6. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    I am so sorry. I hope they are cared for as well.
    I think I would put an add in the local paper ask if anyone has shown off a new flock of chickens you may be surprised
    and get a call or sugest that they simply call the police.

Anytime I have people stop to ask questions I write down their LP number when they leave.

7. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I am so sorry for the loss of your birds, we have locks on all the access door to the coop and run because we are scared of the same thing happening to ours.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  8. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I'm so sorry! I had someone steal my wolf hybrid while I was taking a nap last spring. I wish I had written down their license plate when they stopped and asked about her. I never thought someone would do such a thing. Now I write down anyone that stops and asks about the animals. I also bought two German shepherds that guard the place quite well. [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Astounding.. Dirty rotten chicken-nappers! Now, I'm nervous enough to maybe lock mine up at night. I have a baby monitor, but it's in the nursery coop at the moment.

10. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So sorry to hear this.
    I fear greatly for their well being, praying they are not being mistreated or becoming someone's dinner. The type of person that would steal living beings in someone else's good care is not a good person so I am probably not worrying in vain.
    Were it me, I would post compelling signs/ads asking for their safe return, noting there will be no penalty and also telling your story and giving your contact info so that if anyone notices anything "funny" (a neighbor suddenly in possession of ~11 chickens) they can be in touch. In it, describe what your chickens look like.
    I hope that there will be a happy ending.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by