my birthday present :)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hunterjumper999, Jul 16, 2010.

1. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    Today my DF got me our 7th dog [​IMG]

It's a little male Boston terrier ... we have yet to name him but we're doing the whole Boston themed name... he's 'about' 5 weeks old. My ancient lab has adopted him.

My Hailey bug likes him, or at least doesn't react aggressively which was a concern from the beginning.

Right now, he's relaxing in his playpen after his big day ... I say relaxing loosely- actually hes screaming, howling and running around the pen. we brought him home and started the housebreaking process. So far we're at 0 accident and about 15 potties outside- I changed his food from alpo to chicken soup so I'm assuming we'll continue the sloppy poops for a few days and have a few housebreaking setbacks. . . mostly because i know myself enough to know that untill he's about 7 weeks and able to hold it a bit i'm not going to take him out every 30 minutes overnight as i do during the day . I know he wants to be held and loved on but I also know if i pick him up while he's having his tantrum i'll never get him trained to sleep in a crate like everyone else. Having pit bulls it's important that our dogs are all trained to go in the crate- we don't leave them out when we are not home incase someone decides that they can not share something and an argument starts. This will be my 'go everywhere with me' buddy anyway.

pictures coming later [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That's a LOT of dogs.

But if that makes ya happy.....

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I'm right up there with ya, we got 5. I love puppies, but they are so much more enjoyable once trained lol. We need a picture of the cutie!

4. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Happy birthday and congrats, as long as you can give each dog the time and devotion it needs. But only 5 weeks old? He's barely weaned of the mother.

5. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    [​IMG] Happy Birthday

Congratulations on the newest member of your family.

Bostons aren't a great breed to have around chickens though~~I know from experience. We have two; a father and a son; NEVER trust them around your birds~~they'll tear through chicken wire to get them

6. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    yeah, we have pit bulls so we are no strangers to the whole not good with the birds thing.

Our 'goal' persay is just to have a dog that can come to the barn with me and be easily managed on a leash while i ride. we take the pitties occasionally but they are too big and tend to get overly vocal and spook my horse [​IMG] The other issue is that my female is dog aggressive outside of our home and has to be carefully managed to avoid a situation that is uncomfortable for her. thankfully we have had no issues with dogs inside the home, or young puppies that we make very clear are new family members. last night she was cuddled up with him and loving on him but of course we'll be diligent as he grows and becomes more spunky. I'm excited to be able to partake in a group training class once he's old enough vs. having to go thru a private trainer this time . . . the other classes were GREAT for our bullies but i think a boston can handle a 'regular' puppy kindergarten type class!

I'm SUPER excited to have a new little buddy and i think that he'll enjoy life here. We've already gotten the poo situation undercontrol and he's GOBBLING the healthy food vs. the funky dyed food he was eating ... I don't think i'll do raw with him as I do for the big dogs.

Thankfully I'm in online college for at least the next year and a half so the dogs get LOTS of interaction [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    <--- he loves to howl!
    [​IMG]

7. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    [​IMG] I'm SO jealous! [​IMG] I am not even allowed to have 3 dogs. [​IMG]

8. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    hes a cutie, though i do wish hed gotten to stay with his mommy and littermates for a few weeks longer. i dont let my little ones go till at least 9, preferably 10 weeks old. ive got a litter of almost 7 week olds right now and they still dont have their teeth in yet, i cant imagine having a tiny 5 week old.

bostons are such little peanuts, hes going to keep you busy, there very "bully breed" in personality so dont be suprised if he reminds you of the pitties lol.
    good luck with him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by