My Black Australorp hen stopped laying after 2 months

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TeriS, Jan 28, 2010.

1. TeriS

TeriS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    My 10 month old black Australorp quit laying 8 days ago. She laid a HUGE double yolk egg last week on Monday, then no egg Tuesday, then last Wednesday she laid a small white rough egg (normally she lays a cream colored medium egg). She had been laying almost daily since early November. We cracked it open to eat scrambled eggs, and had to throw it away, it was bloody all through the white and yolk. She hasn't laid an egg since. She seems ok, eating and drinking ok but sits on her nest a lot, but no egg. We have 5 other hens (2 new hens we got about 3 weeks ago). I have felt her vent area and I don't feel an egg so I don't think she is eggbound but I don't know what the problem could be? Any Ideas? They have 2 heat lamps in their coop, plenty of room, don't go outside in the extreme cold and eat layers crumbles, bread, corn and some leftovers from the house. Mostly layer's crumble feed though. Any help would be appreciated!

Teri

2. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    [​IMG] hey teris welcome to byc
    where abouts do you live , if its cold enough outside then your hens will stop laying , in the winter the hours of light decrees and the chcikens dont get enough light to produce an egg, thats all i can think of , im sure somone else will be able to help

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    You mentioned she is sitting on the nest a lot. Could she be broody? Because they stop laying once they go broody.

4. FabulousMandy

FabulousMandy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    my 'lorp produced a small rough white egg that was bloody on the shell when she had cocci, so keep an eye out for other cocci symptoms. She may have stopped laying simply because it's winter, but lessons learned have taught me to be cautious when I find those weird eggs!

5. TeriS

TeriS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I really appreciate all the replies I have gotten!~ My astralorp hen has laid about 1 egg per week- since my last post. the eggs just don't look normal for her though- 1 didn't even have a yolk at all. My other 5 hens continue to lay pretty well.....What is Cocci and what might I need to do about it, if she has that? What is the solution if she is broody? No others in the coop seem abnormal and it has now been over 3 weeks since she has stopped laying for all intents and purposes. I live in Northern Indiana....it's around the upper single digits to upper twenties......My hens have 16 hours of light per day and 2 heat lamps. I appreciate all your help everyone!

Teri

6. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    [​IMG]

I have 6 BA hens. 5 are laying. One is not. I am not sure which one. They do like to go broody, so if she is sitting on the nest most of the time...like 24/7 with only a few breaks, then she is broody. There is a good summary thread on how to break a broody. It has to do with getting cool air under her by putting her in a cage with a screen bottom so she is up in the air with air flow underneath.

ETA - I got a few weird eggs when they were first laying.

ETA#2: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=181289 thread on breaking a broody.

I don't know about that bloody egg though...i never got one like that. . .

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  7. TeriS

TeriS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    She is usually sitting on her nest until I bring food into the coop, then hops right down most of the time and tries to keep the 2 newest hens (RIR) from eating.....They've been in the coop for almost a month. She doesn't normally go back into the nest after that... I was wondering, could it be infectious bronchitus, but no others have gotten it? The rooster, when I got him, was coughing, sneezing, rattling and was clumsy, and his comb was droopy...he finally got over his sneezing and coughing, but could he have passed something to her even when she still appears healthy except for laying? I am just confused! (I am new to keeping chickens- got 4 hens and a rooster just in October for the first time:)

Teri

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    If she's on the nest and you want to know, leave her there. Is she there in the morning, evening and night? Is she still there the next day? Does she get cranky when you go near her? Are you pestering your birds alot? Picking them up? Checking underneath them to see if there is an egg? How many times a day do you change the water? Do you have them for pets or business (eggs)? Some breeds do not make good pets. Do they have an "on demand" supply of calcium grit, oyster shell type. I mix the coarse grit w/ the powdery stuff. Are they getting calcium rich greens? Chickens seem to like greens, the darker the better. Chickens should have a constant supply of grit at their demand. "Always!" Are they getting fresh air? Yes it's cold but they need fresh air during the day. If the air in your coop smells stale open a window for a little while.
    Not sure any of this will help but hoping there might be something you've missed.

9. TeriS

TeriS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I keep my hens as pets who also give me eggs- not for business. I pick them up and hold them several times a week, change their water once a day, give them grit, but only oyster shell once....Greens are not available right now, so they are not getting any. I don't check under her when she is on the nest- others I do to take out any eggs they may be sitting on-. She lets me pet her and doesn't seem cranky whe I go near her nest. Do you think she may be broody?

10. TeriS

TeriS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I will also try to let some fresh air in there as well:) They are a bit 'cooped up', I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by