My black australorp stopped laying eggs after we gave rooster away

Katnisschicken

Chirping
Mar 29, 2020
So a little over a month ago, one of our hens went broody. She sat in one of the nest boxes all day and night and even through they had 3 others to choose from, my other hens (including my australorp) started laying under the coop. I managed to break my hen of her broodiness and everyone started laying in the next boxes again except my black australorp who now isn't laying at all. She hasn't lay for a month now. I've looked absolutely everywhere and haven't found any eggs. I also locked her in the run for a day and there were no eggs anywhere. She's eating and drinking, looks very healthy and is acting normally. The only thing I can think of is we gave our rooster away around the time she stopped laying.

She didn't seem that close to him, and would usually avoid him. But that's the only thing I can think of. Is it normal for hens to stop laying when one of their flock is absent?

Is your hen getting at least 16 hours of sunlight? Did you get a new addition to the flock? if so she might not like the new member. If she isn’t getting enough sunlight then maybe put a light in her coop.

Is your hen getting at least 16 hours of sunlight? Did you get a new addition to the flock? if so she might not like the new member. If she isn’t getting enough sunlight then maybe put a light in her coop.
We did not get a new addition. The days are definitely getting shorter here but my buff orpingtons and easter eggers are still laying

Back
Top Bottom