My black australorp stopped laying for no reason

thechickannchannel

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2021
I have a two year old black australorp. She molted and started laying eggs again recently. She was doing great for two weeks and gave me lots of eggs then stopped. She hasn't layed an egg for three weeks. There's no feather loss, her comb and wattle is bright red, no sickness, I felt her around her tummy up to her butt and there's no egg "stuck" inside, and she's super lively. Has anyone had this happen before? All my other girls are laying fine. Just this one is happily eating her weight and some in food but no eggs.

There can be more than one possibility.
I am assuming you are in the northern hemisphere, and springtime is arriving with daylight hours lengthening. If you are somewhere near Equator where temps are warm year-round, then it does not have any effect.
That is one reason to have location in your profile. It allows us to give advice when climate is a factor. We don't need your address,,,, just a general area that determines climate conditions.

She just needs a rest period, before starting full serve production. Black Australorps, are good layers, but do not compare to Sex-links, or White Leghorns in egg numbers.

Is it possible that she has a hidden nest somewhere. I have found hidden nests made by my hens , trying to hatch out eggs. Of course that was a feudal effort since I have no roosters.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

There can be more than one possibility.
I am assuming you are in the northern hemisphere, and springtime is arriving with daylight hours lengthening. If you are somewhere near Equator where temps are warm year-round, then it does not have any effect.
That is one reason to have location in your profile. It allows us to give advice when climate is a factor. We don't need your address,,,, just a general area that determines climate conditions.

She just needs a rest period, before starting full serve production. Black Australorps, are good layers, but do not compare to Sex-links, or White Leghorns in egg numbers.

Is it possible that she has a hidden nest somewhere. I have found hidden nests made by my hens , trying to hatch out eggs. Of course that was a feudal effort since I have no roosters.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Thank you! I live in california. No hidden nests. I've searched everywhere.

I've searched everywhere.
Sometimes that's not enough.....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom