My Black Cochin died this morning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken D's mom, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Chicken D's mom

Chicken D's mom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    My black cochin bantam just started laying eggs about 2 weeks ago. The eggs seemed larger than my other bantams, but I didn't think much of it. A couple of days ago, I noticed she had clear watery diarrhea. I wish I would have logged on and read up on it, but I thought she was just drinking more than usual.

This morning we heard a commotion in the coop and she was the only one in there. When we got out there, she had died.
    It appears she had fallen off the perch and broke her neck.
    But also, we found light green chunky/ watery diarrhea and upon examining her, her vent was protruding. I couldn't feel an egg there.

I'm trying to figure out what killed her. Please help. We are heartbroken.

2. ClairedeLune

ClairedeLune Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Sorry to hear of it. What are you suspecting to be the cause (besides the breaking of her neck)? Eggbound perhaps?

4. Chicken D's mom

Chicken D's mom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    Honestly, I don't know. The eggs did seem awfully big for her. But I feel extremely sad and guilty because I didn't pay attention to the diarrhea a couple of days ago. Her vent was protruding but only about the size of an egg. I felt around and it felt squishy, so I don't think there was an egg stuck. She successfully layed an egg yesterday afternoon, and was laying every other day, so I don't think an egg was stuck...but ...?

5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I don't know,but just wanted to say sorry for your loss

6. chickeypeep101

chickeypeep101 the Awesome Pullet

Jul 23, 2009
    On a horse!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by