My black Cochin has only laid 2 eggs out of 2 wks, is she done?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leasmom, Aug 29, 2008.

1. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    I am new to chickens esp. Cochins, because I didn't raise this one so I don't know how old she is. But she has only laid twice...is she done with laying?

2. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    Okay, she just laid an egg...why would it be 2 wks since she laid last though???

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    She is possibly an older hen and just laying sporadically now. Do you know how old she is?

4. kaya's farm

kaya's farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    southern VT
    my cochins are the worst layers of all my chickens but they are very cute I think i have gotten about 10 eggs from each and the others have layed at least 50? I thought it was just the bread?

5. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    No, I don't know how old she is. I know my other Mama Cochin-(Cheese Omelette) has laid only 6 -7 eggs in the last two weeks, and she's the one we're getting most of our eggs from at this point since my original hen-(Mushroom Omelette) hasn't started yet...she still has a few more weeks, so this Mama has laid just maybe 3 times a week...and this one-(Greek Omelette) laid 2 eggs the first week and then nothing and then today, one. This is my daughter Lea holding the egg Greek Omelette had. She said she saw her lay it...I've sat outside for hours and still haven't seen them lay yet...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  6. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    2 questions how long have you had them and how hot is it where you live?

One of my breeder pens got seperated from the main flock them it got hot and I think maybe a summer molt the have not laid in probably 2 months.

The cochins in with my flock had started to lay in their other pen 2 eggs in a row then moved to flock and maybe 1 or 2 in the last 2 months however when I first got my breeder stock I was getting 2 or more eggs a day from 3 hens and they laid through the winter.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    3-4 eggs a week for a cochin is pretty good I think. Some say their cochins lay 4-5 which is really good. IMO anyhow! I would be happy with 3 eggs a week from my cochins...I got them pretty much just to look at [​IMG] They are my favorite breed.

8. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    Its not hot here at all...we've had fall like weather this entire August with leaves falling and everything. They are beautiful birds, thats for sure. After two weeks of Greek Omelette not laying I was starting to wonder if shes not too old...she still maybe I don't know cause I've only had her a little over two weeks.

9. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    If you have only had her for 2 weeks - that the reason. Birds will stop laying for a while when anything changes in their environment- especiellay a move.

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I think your right..as long as her belly isn't looking swollen like she could be egg bound I think that's all it is. Do you plan on keeping her either way? I know the two cochins I have will die here of old age, I just love them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by