My Black Jersey died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carladababe, Mar 2, 2012.

1. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    My heart is broken... I went out to the coop to close the girls up for the night and found one of my beautiful Black Jersey Giants dead under the nesting boxes. Still warm, not breathing, no obvious trauma. Everyone's been healthy, weather not out of the ordinary. I'm thinking maybe she flew up in to something and broke her neck, but what do I know. We just celebrated their first birthday February 24th. Will the other Jersey know she's gone? The rest look ok, everyone's roosting, anything I should do different?

2. captainmommy3

captainmommy3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    Im sooooo sorry some people think caring for an animal such as a chicken this much is sily but that just goes to show you they have never had one. im sorry for your loss i know that the loss of any pet is just like losing a family member or a close friend. [​IMG]

3. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    Thank you for your kind words, I love my chickens.

4. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Does the neck feel very limp and loose? She might have fallen or run or flown into something and broken her neck. That happened to our wonderful rooster a few days ago, and his girls are very morose and upset (and we're pretty upset too...) [​IMG]

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Sorry your Jersey died. Sometimes chickens die and you never know why.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by