my black polish chicken purrs ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sonic164, Jun 26, 2011.

1. sonic164

sonic164 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    I have a small flock of 4 chicken's 2 of which are white star's. 1 unknown. and 1 black Poland. my polish is a female and aprox 8-9 weeks old. she acts like a cat in the sense of she likes to be cuddled and lays up against me. sometimes while she's sat on my knee and i'm stroking her she makes this growl/purr noise. is it just the same reason that cat's purr or something.??

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Yes, I think so. My BO used to purr. Now she makes these very soft peep noises and will lay her head and neck along my neck. She's just very affectionate.
    Sounds like your bird is very affectionate too and loves you.

3. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    awwwwwwwwww [​IMG]

4. sonic164

Jun 25, 2011
    I've just put her and my rooster back in there coop with the rest of the flock from a outside run if you like. i put the rooster back first and my polish had push the door open and started following me around at first i thought she was just going to her flock but then when i walked back to the run she followed and sat next to me.

5. Edie2011

Edie2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I received a group (6/23) of chickens- 3 silkies - 3 plymouth and 1 polish. The polish just passed last night, but seem drunk when she arrived, I made sure she ate and got enough water, and she seem to perk up 6/24 but got worse yesterday and had that unbalanced walk again. The plymouth rooster seemed to take to her and would try to warm her, but it didn't seem to work. I felt horrible. I have been reading that they are harder to raise from chicks and this often happens. I would like to try getting a few, as I liked her temperament (she liked to cuddle and fall asleep in my hands), but I am wondering if it is cruel to bring her up in New York zone 3-4? It's been cool and rainy here this year, and we do have the light on and they are in the laundry room so the dryer keeps them warm too but I don't want to try it again and have adults in the chicken house with the light but freezing on me.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I adore my two polish babies [​IMG]

Edie, I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

In my chicken keeping experience there's two types of chicken purring. There's the content purring, like you described. Then there's the whole flock purring you'll witness when there's been a predator attack or threat. It's easy to tell the difference after you've heard both.

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Yuppers, that would be the 'happy noise'. Mine make that sound too. [​IMG] I just love it.

8. sonic164

Jun 25, 2011
    i'm also thinking of getting some polish egg's and incubating them like i recently did before with my flock. would there be a problem mixing Polands with white star's? especially the cockerel.

9. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

That kinda depends on the other birds. Some have a problem with cresteds, others will tolerate their presence and not pick on them. We had a mixed flock and it was 2 whole years before a crested bird suddenly got picked on one day.

10. sonic164

Jun 25, 2011
    well my cockerel sometimes pecks benson (my polish) and when i just let them out now i pick her up and she perched on my arm. then my cockerel flew up and pushed her off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by