1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My black polish white crested hen is getting picked on

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Paws4fun, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Paws4fun

Paws4fun Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2015
    I am super new to having chickens - l've had my girls for less than a week now. I have a nice mix of breeds (2 polish 2 silkies, partridge rock, buff brahma, mille fleur and a barred rock mix - they are all just under a year old).

When I got them home I noticed at the very top of the black polish white crested hens head her feathers were short and just coming in – this morning I noticed she’s got a bald spot now and some dried up blood (not a lot) These chickens are just getting use to their new coop and living with each other. What should I do? Should I take her out? And if I do that once her head heal can I re-introduce her to the group – or will this just keep happening?
    And should I be putting anything on it? Cream??

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!!!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This is a common problem for polish chicks, and in my experience with my 2, it can happen occasionally even after they grow up. I have successfully used BluKote or Gentian Violet on the bare spots. Other products that may prove useful are Nustock Cream from the feed store, a bad tasting, but very usefel thick cream that may discourage pecking, and an aluminum dressing called AluSpray or AluShield:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Paws4fun

Paws4fun Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2015
    Thank you so much!!! I tried a homemade thing first - if that doesn't work I will try one of your suggestions! I used Lemon oil - tee tree oil - raw honey and blue dye! No one seemed to bug her overnight!!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by