My black sex link hen--something's wrong this morning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by QChickieMama, Oct 22, 2011.

1. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 1, 2011
    She won't get up. Her feet are sprawled oddly beside her while she's lying on the grass. I stroked her and she crawled to get away from me. She keeps lifting her tail feathers and lowering them again. Does that mean something specific? The other 4 in her tractor are fine. Any idea what I should do? Or what could be bothering her? She's 7-8 mos old and hasn't laid an egg yet.

2. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    The fact that you mentioned the legs being sprawled makes me instantly think Marek's, and she's a tad older than when it traditionally hits, but it's still a real possibility... There is lots of information on this site and others that might confirm or deny that. Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Maybe she's eggbound?

4. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    Quote:This is kinda what I'm wondering. Anything to do about it?

5. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Try giving her a bath in warm water.

6. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    Quote:Sooooo, I gave her a soak in warm soapy water for at least 20-25 minutes. Tried to dry her and warm her up before putting her back in the barn with a hot water bottle. No egg. But, the soak cleaned lots of poo off her back end.

Hoping this does the trick b/c I'm out of ideas. If she is eggbound, would it be ok to put her back in the coop with her pals? Or will they bother her?

7. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I had one that struggled for 3 days and then finally passed the egg (with egg covered in blood) and then died that same day. I'm sorry but I think it's just hit or miss whether she'll make it or not. I think the warm bath is a good idea. Maybe just do that again and then you'll feel you did your best to help her. You might also try anything that women use to help stretch the skin out when giving birth (haven't done that myself, but maybe there are oils for that. If you've ever watched a chicken laying an egg before (easiest to see with a modern game bantam since they're way up in the air with minimal feathers), you'll see it's quite similar with the skin having to stretch out. It looks quite painful even when the eggs comes out more easily. Sometimes I wonder if we should just get breeds like the natural jungle fowl that don't lay very many eggs, so the hens don't have to go through that every day. Sorry for rambling.... good luck with your hen! I had one hen survive having her leg torn off by a raccoon, so you never know!

8. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    Good news: she laid about an hour after the bath! I'm so relieved. I bet she is, too.

However, she's still acting puny. I've kept her isolated in the barn. The others were pecking at her--gee, where's the sympathy? I'm hoping she's back to her happy self in the morning.

9. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    Quote:Oh, that sounds so tough! Poor henny.

With mine, I'm wondering if she has yet another egg troubling her since she's still sitting on the ground, acting bleh.

10. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    hm...I'm glad she laid her egg! I hope she feels better soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by