My Blackie missed me! (PIC HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LittleYellowOne, Oct 17, 2008.

1. LittleYellowOne

LittleYellowOne Chillin' With My Peeps

So yesterday I got home from house/child/dog/puppy/fish/cat/hermitcrab/bird (XD) sitting for my aunt for one entire week. I was reluctant to do so, because I'm rather attacked to little Blackie; he's a house-pet, and in my opinion, rather attached to me. But I needed the money, so I left my spoiled little cockerel in the care of my two younger siblings, (I still called every day to check on him~). He had been a special needs chick that was all alone and i hand-raised, so he's basically my baby~

So I get home yesterday and run right into the living room where his enclosure is, and as soon as he sees me, he starts making all these loud excited sounds, ("bawking", and a sort of loud "growly" sound), running back and forth, and then in circles! Apparently the whole week he didn't make a single sound besides crowing, and refused to eat except when you put fresh food into his trough.

I wish they'd told me he hadn't eaten! *dies*

Well I snatch him out and just sit there and snuggle him for like an hour, all the while he keeps making these happy little sounds, and then he dozes off~! I put him back, and he proceeds to gorge himself silly on grapes and a baked potato...

I wanted to cry! I didn't think that chickens had the "brainpower" to recognize that I had been gone enough to miss me, and be happy on my return!

I just wanted to share my sweet story~

Here's some pics of him, and a few of me with him too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  2. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Such a sweet story! Thanks for sharing it with us......
    Itis easy to become very attached. [​IMG]

3. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    He's just beautiful (insert your name:)! [​IMG]

4. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Since he's an only one, take him w/you next time. Last year when I had to travel for a vet assistant class (less than a week) when I got back home, my 8 RIR hens gave 14 eggs that day! They were so excited and I was, too, couldn't wait to go check on them and visit w/them so the dogs were a bit put out...

5. LittleYellowOne

Buff- Yeah! I definitely didn't think that I could get so attached to something so quickly. I really didn't realize that chickens had so much personality, and that there was actually someone TO get attached to under all those feathers~

Rainbow (Norma)- Well thank you! I think he's very handsome too~ I love his little "shawl" (what I call the white feathers on his neck, 'cause they don't meet on his chest and kinda just stop~). My name is Sydney by the way~

Snowy- I waaanted to take him with me, but figured my aunt wouldn't allow it... She runs a parrot rescue, (currently has 3 Moluccan Cockatoos, 3 Blue and Gold Macaws, 1 Scarlet Macaw, 1 Green Winged Macaw, 3 African Grays, 2 Yellow Headed Amazons, 1 Yellow Nape Amazon, and a "Mini-Macaw", and I figured she'd be afraid of me bring in disease or something. Of course she didn't tell me til AFTER the fact that "of course I could have brought him!" *dies*. Oh well! My dogs were a little offended too, I kinda just breezed past them~

6. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Rainbow (Norma)- Well thank you! I think he's very handsome too~ I love his little "shawl" (what I call the white feathers on his neck, 'cause they don't meet on his chest and kinda just stop~). My name is Sydney by the way~

Nice to meet you Sydney [​IMG]

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

That chicken is beautiful!

8. LittleYellowOne

Quote:Aww thank you! I'm gonna make sure to tell him that all his friends at BYC think he's a handsome lad~ He's not just pretty on the outside though! He's a sweetie~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by