1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My blasted chickens ate Golden Marlin fly bait

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tala, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Sooo they were all still standing robustly when I left for work....though I have yet to do my nightly check. It seems that they managed to break the bait station which was hanging about 4ft over their heads.....the amount in it was probably less than 2 Tablespoons and they ate the dead flies as well, but that stuff is potent so who knows.
    What's done is done, I'm going to build a better (stronger) bait station coz the stuff really works!

Maybe we shouldn't eat the eggs for a while??? Does anybody know??

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I do not know an antidote, but I do know that it is extremely toxic. I would not have that stuff anywhere near any animal I cared for. In my mind it should be a tightly controlled substance!

3. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Oh April, that stuff is nasty. I wouldn't keep it around my chickens either, like SS said. It's just too toxic. Let's hope most of it got knocked to the floor and not eaten.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Actually the active ingredient is in the same chemical class as Carbayl aka Sevin Dust, that most people agree is good for treating birds for lice/mites. I also have rat poison in the coop, but it's also in a bait station designed to keep the birds out. HOW they managed to get the bait station down is anybody's guess. I specifically hung it away from any objects that they could stand on to gain access to it, and therefore it's away from potential "launching pads" as well.......it's been there all summer without issues. Grumble grumble. I swear those biddies have a suicide wish some days!

Basically it says that it's like nerve gas, or at least that's what the symptoms would look like. The birds are all in their place tonight looking normal, so I guess they're gonna live. They never cease trying to cause heart attacks, that's for sure.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I dont know... I've been told by several BYC members (that have used it for this purpose).. that it will kill a coon or coyote with-in a few feet of the bait spot....
    dosent sound good for your chooks.. [​IMG]

Maybe birds are more immune to it?? [​IMG]

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:on the MSDS it says "toxic to birds" [​IMG]

But we all know that chickens are really miniature dinosaurs

(and I suspect they were using more than a Tablespoon or two on the raccoons)

8. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Birds alive today?

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Yup.

I did throw out the eggs yesterday though [​IMG]

10. cls82

cls82 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Tala- did all your birds survive? I am thinking about using it to kill a opossum, leaving it out just at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by