My blind rooster gets to be a babysitter!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by BirdyMe, Mar 20, 2012.

1. BirdyMe

BirdyMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Last fall, I took in 30 chickens from a lady that couldn't take care of them anymore. Most of them were old hens, and banty mixes. I noticed that one of them, a silkie mix, was looking pretty droopy a few days after I got him, so I started giving him the special treatment. His own pen, electrolytes in his water....he perked up a little, but he still wasn't normal. That's when I figured it out.

He was blind.

His eyes are slightly foggy, and when he walks, he keeps his head low to the ground, so he can peck at the ground to tell where he is. He also rakes his beak around until he find the food or water. It's interesting, and a little sad to watch, but he gets along fine now that we know what's wrong with him.

I've tried letting him free range with the other chickens. I didn't think he would go far. Boy, was I wrong! He just kept walking! And the geese kept on picking on him. So I ended up putting him in a nice pen with his own food and water- right next door to my chick pen.

I thought about letting him in with the chicks, but I was worried that because he couldn't see them, he might step on them. So I figured I would wait until the chicks were bigger, and then I would appoint Ray Charles (as we so dubbed the little blind rooster) as babysitter!

So this morning, when I went out to feed, this is what I came out too:

[​IMG]

The little chick had managed to squeeze through the wire, into Ray Charles's side of the pen. It was all snuggled up to him when I came out there.

As soon as the chicks are a little bigger, I think I'll move him in with them. He makes such a good babysitter! Does anyone else have an older chicken that babysits the younger ones? Just curious? :)

2. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    Awww!!! That's so sweet of you take to take care of a disabled old bird. I bet he is very grateful!

And the picture is darling! :)

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Aw, bless he heart! He can still hear and still feel the warmth of another bird.

4. BirdyMe

Thank you folks! I think he really does like having other birds closer to him- that's why I tried to let him free range before. But, I have a duckling right now that can't walk, so maybe he'll have a permanent neighbor. :)

One of the other chicks got in there yesterday, and he was just as good to it! I've gotta fix that hole though...he has a big waterer, and I don't want the chicks falling into it. Been there before....

5. TexasChick09

TexasChick09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2009
    Aw, that's sweet. I have a rooster that is blind in one eye and doesn't see incredibly well out of the other, but sees enough. He free ranges well, but I have to feed him by himself, so at feed time he constantly bumps into my legs until he gets his feed sorted out. He's a very sweet bird thoughl.

6. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    That's adorable! [​IMG]

7. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    So sweet. It appears that he and the chicks want to be together. What a great story and picture. Please keep up posted. [​IMG]does he have a name?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  8. BirdyMe

Woopsy, forgot to mention his name: Ray Charles, the Little Blind Rooster. :)

9. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    That is so sweet! Keep us posted :D

10. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Awww that's cute!!! I love his name too!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by