My blind silky bantam

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silky1, Jun 5, 2016.

1. silky1

silky1 New Egg

Jun 2, 2016
    I rescued a chicken several months ago from a ditch on the side of the road. I live in Hawaii where chickens roam around everywhere but she seemed hurt. I brought her home built her a coop and bought her some food. She has done fine. So cute and cuddly. She does run into things and cannot find her food bowl unless i tap it with the food in it. I think she's blind. The last several days she refuses to come out of her coop. She tries to peck me when I try to pick her up. Unusual behavior, she normally is happy and walks around the yard. Wakes me up clucking every morning. Now nothing, totally quiet. Is she sad, lonely, sick?????? I don't have a laying box in her house but up until a few days ago she was laying an egg every other day or so. Does she heed and laying box???? Any ideas that might help... Thanks

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] First let me say it's wonderful of you to rescue and take care of the poor thing! It does sound like she is either blind or badly visually impaired. Her behaviour, the sudden aggression, non-laying etc makes me think she may be broody? I wonder now… give her some eggs and see what she does with them. If she spreads herself out comfortably over them and complain when you remove them, it's fair sure to say that she is broody. If not, it may be something else that is bothering her… Let the troubleshooting begin!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    1 person likes this.
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    sumi and CTKen gave you some great advice.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies are very prone to going broody. They may sit and try to hatch rocks, toys, or just plain air, if there are no eggs available. They can be very aggressive thinking you are going to take their chicks - even invisible ones. Have you checked to see if she is totally blind? If she has a large crest and beard obscuring her sight- you could gently trim them shorter.

6. silky1

silky1 New Egg

Jun 2, 2016
    She does not have anything obscuring sight. She bumps into things, will not sit on her roost just sits by the edge of the door in her coop. Can I just leave her alone as ling as she is eating and drinking????

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Personally i would leave her be. I may be wrong, but I seem to recall reading that silkies don't normally use roosts - if thats correct, then no need to worry about roosting.

CT

8. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    Yes also my silkie dont use roosts only in the corner floor I had a hen like that but she wasn't blind she looked dizzy I gave her half an aspirin in her water and became normal next day some people won't believe me or think it bad to use aspirin but I like it when there's a serious problem, you can check if she's blind by waving ur hand by her eye if she blinks she not blind if no blinks high chance she's blind

9. silky1

silky1 New Egg

Jun 2, 2016
    Thank you for suggestions

10. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    Ur welcome and please let us know what happens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by