My Blue Ameraucana died suddenly today 😔

Osofluffy

Chirping
Sep 16, 2020
I am truly heartbroken & sobbing. My beautiful blue Ameraucana died unexpectedly this evening. I went to do my before dinner chicken check and I noticed Penguiny (my daughter named her) in the corner vomiting clearish liquid in a projectile manner. I picked her up and her crop was literally the size of a tennis ball (soft & squishy not hard). She looked terrible. As I am holding her, she "poops" clear mucousy water. She is a chicken I handle frequently & I had not noticed her crop full before. I thought it was an impacted crop or sour crop, and thought I would have time to research the best way to handle it. As she was on my lap, she starts vomiting again liquid, shaking her head violently side to side with the liquid flying everywhere. She sounds like she is drowning while breathing. She is continuing to eliminate liquids from both ends and shaking with labored breathing. I was holding her and she was having trouble keeping her eyes open. Then she passed the rainbow bridge. Literally within an hour and a half of when I found her. I feel terrible if she has been suffering and I didn't know. She was eating this morning & laying normally. Nothing seemed off until tonight.

Penguiny loved being a lap chicken and would keep my company while I read on the bench. She would swing on the saucer swing on my daughter's lap looking like she was the happiest girl in the whole world. She would follow me everywhere in the yard but would be a stinker when it was time to go in the chicken run/coop. She loved cucumbers. She would come to the kitchen glass door from the yard and stare at me until I came outside. I just love her so much and feel incredibly sad.

Byrd gal

Songster
Dec 31, 2020
Sw ohio
How terrible!!! I am so sorry.I have never had a chicken do that. She sounded like one of the special ones you always dream of having. Sending prayers your way.

Kaddi143

Songster
Sep 29, 2020
I still cry at times over losing my Clyde to a red tail hawk in front of my eyes! My heart hurts for you!!

EEforMe

Songster
Sep 5, 2021
I lost a pullet to a hawk in September last year. She was imprinted on me and was just the sweetest thing. I miss her terribly and I know how it feels. So sorry. Don’t let anyone tell you “it’s just a chicken” because it’s not.

Happy hen lover

Crowing
Jan 14, 2021
SW Nebraska
I am truly heartbroken & sobbing. My beautiful blue Ameraucana died unexpectedly this evening. I went to do my before dinner chicken check and I noticed Penguiny (my daughter named her) in the corner vomiting clearish liquid in a projectile manner. I picked her up and her crop was literally the size of a tennis ball (soft & squishy not hard). She looked terrible. As I am holding her, she "poops" clear mucousy water. She is a chicken I handle frequently & I had not noticed her crop full before. I thought it was an impacted crop or sour crop, and thought I would have time to research the best way to handle it. As she was on my lap, she starts vomiting again liquid, shaking her head violently side to side with the liquid flying everywhere. She sounds like she is drowning while breathing. She is continuing to eliminate liquids from both ends and shaking with labored breathing. I was holding her and she was having trouble keeping her eyes open. Then she passed the rainbow bridge. Literally within an hour and a half of when I found her. I feel terrible if she has been suffering and I didn't know. She was eating this morning & laying normally. Nothing seemed off until tonight.

Penguiny loved being a lap chicken and would keep my company while I read on the bench. She would swing on the saucer swing on my daughter's lap looking like she was the happiest girl in the whole world. She would follow me everywhere in the yard but would be a stinker when it was time to go in the chicken run/coop. She loved cucumbers. She would come to the kitchen glass door from the yard and stare at me until I came outside. I just love her so much and feel incredibly sad.
I'm so sorry I just had one die in my arms today too. She was truly a great pet/bird I'm so sorry you had to go through that. :hugs

BigBlueHen53

We will get through this... together!
Premium Feather Member
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
I am so sorry! Is there any chance you can send her off for a necropsy? This would help you know she didn't have anything that could affect the rest of your flock. If you can, double-bag the body in plastic and refrigerate, don't freeze. I don't mean to sound callous, but it may be important to know the cause of death. In the morning I will tag a couple of our experts and see if they have any ideas. That just doesn't sound like anything I've ever read of on here. :hugs

Top Bottom