my blue egg layer is now laying browns - PICTURE ADDED!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vtgirls, Nov 1, 2010.

1. vtgirls

vtgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Vermont
    I am new to this chicken thing, however here it is. We have one mutt hen (given by a friend) who is about 1 and a half years old. She has been laying nice large blue eggs almost every day for about a week now (when we first were given her she was moulting). We have only 4 other hens, all just full grown and laying for a week or two. Two BR, 1 SLW, and 1 bantam cochin. All four of these girls are definately laying very small brown eggs.
    Today though, Goldie (the mutt) was in the coop alone singing her laying song for all to hear. My son ran in to check and she left us a brown egg. We are 100% sure this egg is from her as we had just gotten the other eggs a few minutes before she went inside to lay.
    Is it normal for her eggs to be brown now or don't they stay blue if she lays blue?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Not possible, once blue always blue.

One of your other birds is laying.

3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I dunno but I've heard the brown layer goes on last (don't know if this is true) maybe she wasn't using the brown spray paint before but it is odd for a change all of a sudden maybe she ran out of blue and couldn't make it to the store.

4. vtgirls

May 20, 2010
    Vermont
    This egg was huge - all the other girls eggs have been tiny so far - this one is the exact same size and coned shape as Goldies....
    Always blue is what I am hoping but dont know how it could be anybody elses egg except hers?!

5. kchopper

kchopper Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    pretty sure they don't change colors

6. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    eggs either have a blue base or a white base - they NEVER switch. Is it possibly brown sprayed over blue (looking green?)

7. vtgirls

May 20, 2010
    Vermont
    [​IMG]

these area sampling of the eggs so far, the brown in question being the last one before the two blues...

8. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I'll bet it was one of your other girls. They'll often lay bigger eggs as they're starting to lay. It might even be a double yolker, but it definitely wasn't the same girl who laid your blues.

9. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Quote:maybe its a double yolker from 1 of the other girls

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Have you opened it? It's probably a double-yolker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by