My Blue Egg Lecture for Biology Students

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by HoustonChicks, Dec 15, 2010.

1. HoustonChicks

HoustonChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Hope this is the right place to post. Just wanted to tell my effort to further the knowledge of "chickendom" in a world where kids might not have the chance to be around animals.
    I am a paraprofessional at a high school. Now that I've had chickens for 7 months, most people are ready for my "Let me tell ya about my chickens!" stories. I especially like talking about the little blue eggs from my bantam Ameracaunas, I guess because the response is usually "Blue eggs?!"
    A biology teacher was finishing up a section on genetics with her 12th graders. She invited me to bring some blue eggs & talk a bit about how chickens lay colored eggs. I brought a regular-sized, white store bought egg to show the students the difference in bantam eggs, but the most fun was showing the class the little blue eggs & the kids saying "Aawwww, they're cuuute!" Students were really interested in traits of the breed as well as egg colors. I broke the eggs into a beaker to show the golden yolks of my yard eggs vs. the pale yellow of the store egg.
    I was glad to have the chance to show students there's variety and beauty in CHICKENS! I wanted to say, "Wait til I show you my silkies!" But I held off on bringing a live hen!

2. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    Sounds like they need a class field trip to your house to get up close to them. I think the hands on expierence and actually seeing something right in front of you has a better lasting expression than to read it in a book.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by