1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My "blue" Orpington is black in color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Ninjapickles, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Ninjapickles

Ninjapickles Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2014
    Dripping Springs, TX
    so...is she a blue orpington or shall I just call her a black orpington?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Could you post a photo?

When you breed blue birds to blue birds, you end up (ideally) with 50% blue, 50% splash (white and blackish), and 25% black chicks. Blue chicks sold as being "blue" are usually a mixture of blue, black, and splash. So, you could have bought your chicken as a Blue Orpington, but she was one of the Blue Orpington chicks that is actually a Black Orpington.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  3. Ninjapickles

Oct 24, 2014
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Yes, she was sold as a blue from the hatchery. [​IMG]

4. Ninjapickles

Oct 24, 2014
    Dripping Springs, TX
    She is there in the right with the wyandottes.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She does appear to be a Black Orpington. Most hatcheries, when selling blue birds, state that out of the chicks that you get some will be black, others will be blue, and some will be splash. You were just unlucky and got a Black instead of a Blue.

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    When breeding blue to blue you will get 25% black, 50% blue and 25% black. When ordering a blue breed you could end up with any of those 3 colors.

Can you get a closer picture? Is it the one in the center with the large comb and wattles? How old is this bird?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - what hatchery did you order from? Most have it in the breed descriptor details that the birds may be any of these three.

8. Ninjapickles

Oct 24, 2014
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I ordered from Meyer and yes I see now that it says they pick the color of the chicken. She is 14 weeks. No the one in the middle with the big comb is my black astralorp rooster. I can only have so many chickens, I wish you could get a guarantee on color.

9. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I thought the one in the middle looked male. Unfortunately blue does not breed true, so there is no guarantee on getting a blue when ordering one. Blue can also range from very light to very dark, almost black.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by