My Blue Orpington Rooster - New to chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by LilQtBear, Oct 4, 2011.

1. LilQtBear

LilQtBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    My husband and I bought our first house in April and started first random flock of chickens right away... not knowing what I wanted I started getting a little of eachy. [​IMG]
    Then a couple weeks after moving in I bought a Blue Orpington Rooster from a Lady near me and had hatched 10 eggs in town, she couldn't have Roo's. I had heard of Buff Orpingtons but not of any other color here in the Northwest so I jumped at it. LUV HIM! Sweetest most gentle roo on our little farm. out of all the chickens I have gotten in the last few months I have gotten rid of several roosters for different reasons, I even had gotten is brother (out of same clutch of eggs sent to the lady) a black orpington, he was was georgous but mean as could be, always attacking my kids and tearin out feathers of the hens, he had to go.

Anyway - I will be on the search for more colored orpington eggs because I think Im going to research the standard and try and breed the colors here since we HARDLY ever see anything other than buff.

Here is my fav roo ever - Blue Steel [​IMG]

2. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    He is a purty boy!

3. LilQtBear

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Thank you! I like to think so, but again I am very partial to him [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a blue Orp rooster who is about to turn 5 yrs old, my big old sweet Suede. They are some of the best roosters, aren't they? Wouldn't trade my big old blue love for anything.

5. LilQtBear

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:The best for sure. I was thinking about that - How I want to breed but I will Never want to get rid of my Blue, trying to already think of how i wil have my husband do my pens so Blue can always live out his life here even if most his prodegy (spelling) are here

6. LilQtBear

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    Finally loaded some more pictures of a few of my chickens - Blue Steel my Blue orpington Roo and his girlfriends - 1 American, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 California Whites - and some better pictures of my Boy, Blue Steel

Blue and one of eachy of his girlfriends (these are the eggs I have under a broody and in incubator)
    [​IMG]

Blue in front of his BO girlfriend (front view of Blue)
    [​IMG]

Beautiful Blue Steel - little bit of browning on his cackles from the sun
    [​IMG]

Blue checkin on what im doing
    [​IMG]

7. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Love his coloring - looks like he has a great personality too [​IMG]

8. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

He's quite a poser, isn't he? He loves the camera. Beautiful bird, thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  9. LilQtBear

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Great personality - we had his "brother" who was a black and very good looking as well - but had to find him a new home due to being too aggressive with the hens and my kids.
    Blue is sweet and gentle - follows me around like a begger dog and is super curious - this is why we chose to keep him and would like to pass on his genes/personality (and good looks of course)

10. LilQtBear

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Thank you [​IMG] yea - he does luv the camera - he thinks he is a pretty cool kid [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by