My blue silkie hen having problems walking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by angel2013, Feb 8, 2015.

1. angel2013

angel2013 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013
    Hope, bc Canada
    My blue silkie is only a year old. She just went broody about a month ago. since i have been watching her in the last week i was taking her and putting her outside and now she seems to be having problems walking.

if i give treats to the other girls (3) others they go for it and she at first barely wabbled there. now she doesn't even go for it.

I don't know what to do.

I fed her spagetti last night in her nest where she climbed back in, but she is walking like her legs are weak or something. I brought her to the water and made her drink too just in case she was dehydrated. but i need help please!

2. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Is there any way you can bring her in to monitor her progress? If she has been broody s month she is very likely dehydrated. Has she been leaving the nest to eat and drink? Most will do this every few days but some get so broody tranced they don't. That way you can see her poops, how she is acting etc.

You need to make sure she is hydrated. This is the peacock thread but look around, Kathy has some excellent threads on how to tube feed and hydrate that shows the makeup of their throat structure, I think chicken is the same only much smaller, thus smaller tube. Do you have any Kaytee baby bird formula?

Sounds like she needs some emergency care pronto.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. frenchblackcopper

frenchblackcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    This needs posted in the chicken forums,unless there is now a blue silkie peafowl? Wouldn't that be wild?

1 person likes this.
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'd probably use a size 18 french tube on a silkie. Things to look into would be coccidiosis, worms, cage layer fatigue, vitamin deficiencies and Marek's.

-Kathy

Edited to add:
    She needs to be inside a warm house, not outside.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. angel2013

May 17, 2013
    Hope, bc Canada
    Thanks so much for replying to this. Sorry i got it in the wrong bird category . still getting use to posting on this site :) She has been drinking and eating some. i think you were right though about being broody and not getting enough food/ water intake etc.. why would they do that to themselves is crazy! i am keeping a close eye on her.

Do you happen to know what i should feed her to give her more energy?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she's not laying you could feed her turkey or gamebird crumbles, they're higher in protein. You could also feed her eggs, crickets and meal worms. Also be sure to check her for mites and/or lice, she probably has them.

-Kathy

7. angel2013

May 17, 2013
    Hope, bc Canada
    So i brought my silkie to the vet today because i was at a total loss. The vet did a pop test (nothing), checked her out. not egg bound. she has had all her shots according to the place where i bought her from so we are stumped. vet gave her some vitamins and fluids to try and boost her energy and we found a little lice on her. not much so i came home cleaned out there coop and dusted all 4 of my chickens with DE. (they weren't too impressed)

She also mentioned feeding her more lettuce and carrots. so i guess that will be on the menu later. Yesterday i had dug up 4 worms out of the ground and she wanted nothing to do with them.

I thank you guys so much for all your input! your a great bunch! :)

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  9. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    If there were lice on her then DE will do NOTHING to help her...she will need dusting with Permethrin or Sevin dust..all chickens will need treating as will their nesting boxes and the coop will need spraying with Sevin dust or Permethrin..all bedding and nesting boxes need to be removed and burned...re-treat in 7 days to rid any hatching lice...

1 person likes this.
  10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X2.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by