My blue/splash Orp roos...which boys are best?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shelleyb1969, Oct 23, 2010.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I'm needing some decision-making help from all the Orp experts here. [​IMG] I'm brand new to Orps and want to get some opinions on which of my 2 blue and 2 splash roos are looking the best. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. [​IMG] I plan on keeping 1 of each color, so eventually the other 2 will be sold. These boys are 4 months old. Please pick 1 roo of each color and give me your opinion/reason why you chose them. After spending a lot of time observing them, I already know my personal favorites...but I'm curious to know if my choices are the best. So let me know which boys you think are showing the most promise at this young age. [​IMG]

Blue boy #1:
    [​IMG]

Blue boy #2:
    [​IMG]

Splash boy #1:
    [​IMG]

Splash boy #2:
    [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    To young yet to make that kind of decision, they are at the gangly teenager stage!! I don't part with Orp roosters I grow out if I want to keep a few til 8 or 9 months and sometimes over 1 year to 18 months old. Their patterns and lacing are not developed yet. They molt juvenile feathers also.

3. shelleyb1969

I had one splash boy that had very light eyes (orangey), and I sold him to a friend of mine. Was I right or wrong for culling him already? [​IMG] I have 5 roos and 5 pullets...will all those roos get along for at least another 4 months? [​IMG]

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:You want your roosters to have dark eyes. If they are not penned with pullets/hens they should get along just fine. As they mature they will fight over hens unless there aren't any around close for them to see and pounce on!!!

5. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. shelleyb1969

Quote:You want your roosters to have dark eyes. If they are not penned with pullets/hens they should get along just fine. As they mature they will fight over hens unless there aren't any around close for them to see and pounce on!!!

Thanks Tuffoldhen! All of my Orps are/will be penned together for the winter. Right now they're all free ranging on 10 acres and are only confined together at night...so everyone gets along fine. Unfortunately, if I start having issues with the roosters then I'll be forced to start culling sooner than I really should. That's another reason why I'm wanting to learn about possible faults to be on the lookout for. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by