My Blue Swedish Is Not Eating

Quackmeister

In the Brooder
Dec 7, 2016
Florissant, MO
Hi, I'm pretty new to BYC and needed some advice on what to do with Blu, my 9 month old Blue Swedish. I had 10 ducks total, and one week ago something attacked my ducks and the wounds they had have me thinking it was a weasel, but I'm not sure since I have yet to see one in my area. Quinnie (Welsh) and Goldie (Golden Hybrid) were already dead when I came to check on them in the morning. I had 3 more that were injured and unfortunately my Black Swedish, Chomper was badly injured and I had to take her to the vet to be put down. The other 2 ducks that were hurt are living inside right now to heal and recover, they are on pain meds and antibiotics. Lizzie (White Layered) is doing a lot better, she had some puncture wounds on her neck but she has healed nicely and is acting pretty normal again, almost ready to be back outside full time, But Blu is not doing as well. She doesn't have any puncture wounds,just a couple scratches, but she will not eat her food and I am starting to get really scared. It has been 8 days and all she will eat is worms I hunt for her, mealworms, and peas. She will not eat the normal duck food I give her (Purina Layena Crumbles) and she has lost quite a bit of weight. I let them both out to forage with their sisters for a couple hours a day when I'm home and Blu does not really participate, just follows Lizzie wherever she goes. I keep them In a 3ftx4ft confinement I bult inside my house. Is it too small for them to make her not want to eat? Is she depressed? Should they be outside longer than a couple hours? I tried introducing little ducklings to her and she doesn't seem interested. I have tried giving her cracked corn, eggs, kale, lettuce, duckling food, layena crumbles, greek yogurt, cottage cheese and she wont eat any of that. I give them both baths now that their wounds are closed and they are happy in water. I'm getting really scared and don't know what to do. I feel like she doesn't have much time left if we keep going down this road. Any advice is appreciated

@Miss Lydia
@casportpony
@Amiga

I'm sorry @Quackmeister , but I'm not very experienced in issues such as these... I tagged some other BYCers who might be able to help..

I might say that she's in shock, but I'm really only grasping at strings. Maybe you could try putting some of the Layer crumbles in her water, so she could dabble at them? Might make it more appealing.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm pretty new to BYC and needed some advice on what to do with Blu, my 9 month old Blue Swedish. I had 10 ducks total, and one week ago something attacked my ducks and the wounds they had have me thinking it was a weasel, but I'm not sure since I have yet to see one in my area. Quinnie (Welsh) and Goldie (Golden Hybrid) were already dead when I came to check on them in the morning. I had 3 more that were injured and unfortunately my Black Swedish, Chomper was badly injured and I had to take her to the vet to be put down. The other 2 ducks that were hurt are living inside right now to heal and recover, they are on pain meds and antibiotics. Lizzie (White Layered) is doing a lot better, she had some puncture wounds on her neck but she has healed nicely and is acting pretty normal again, almost ready to be back outside full time, But Blu is not doing as well. She doesn't have any puncture wounds,just a couple scratches, but she will not eat her food and I am starting to get really scared. It has been 8 days and all she will eat is worms I hunt for her, mealworms, and peas. She will not eat the normal duck food I give her (Purina Layena Crumbles) and she has lost quite a bit of weight. I let them both out to forage with their sisters for a couple hours a day when I'm home and Blu does not really participate, just follows Lizzie wherever she goes. I keep them In a 3ftx4ft confinement I bult inside my house. Is it too small for them to make her not want to eat? Is she depressed? Should they be outside longer than a couple hours? I tried introducing little ducklings to her and she doesn't seem interested. I have tried giving her cracked corn, eggs, kale, lettuce, duckling food, layena crumbles, greek yogurt, cottage cheese and she wont eat any of that. I give them both baths now that their wounds are closed and they are happy in water. I'm getting really scared and don't know what to do. I feel like she doesn't have much time left if we keep going down this road. Any advice is appreciated
@Quackmeister I am so sorry for your losses. One thing about predators we usually don't see them but they are def around. I hope where the breach was is fixed now so nothing else can get to your ducks..

I have never seen a mink or weasel here but I know we have them plus lots of other preds.
I beIieve I'd make a call to your vet, tell them about your duck and ask about tube feeding her. Getting some tube feeding done may give her the energy to fight to live. At least she is eating something though so that is good.
It's very important that we get nourishment in them when they are sick or injured. If she is drinking well I'd put some poultry vitamin in her drinking water. Poultry Nutri drench can also be given straight into the bill for quick response.
Pain meds and antibiotics can also hinder appetite which can be a double edge sword since they need them right now so adding some kind of bird probiotics along with vitamins to their water my help their tummy's feel better.
Please keep us updated. After all I have said I think talking to your vet would be the best advise I can give.

I have two Blue Swedish ducks myself and recently one of them, Daisy, was egg bound. She also stopped eating for awhile, Sometimes hens can either be in shock or something else can cause something to go wrong when she goes to lay an egg, maybe it cracks inside, or its just too big to get out. It could also be that when Ducks undergo something very stressful, say losing friends or maybe a new environment, they can lose their appetite because of it. Is she drinking water? If you can get her to continue eating mealworms and watching her maybe she will perk up a bit. It might be good if this keeps up, to go to your local vet. If you want help finding an avian vet there is a website i use called fresh eggs daily, and they have a list of avian veterinarians across the us. I wish you good luck and hope your birds are happy and safe!

I will try that @QuackSpeak , I've mixed it with water and gave it to her with syringes, but i'm afraid to do it too much in case it turns her off from eating and drinking completely.

@Miss Lydia The breach is fixed, and I am in the process of making a whole new pen and transforming a shed in the yard I don't really use into a nice shelter for them. Tube feeding is something I have seriously been thinking about, if she doesn't get better really soon that is what I'm going to have to do. She gets a good vitamin mix in her water, she sips on it. I throw mealworms in there so she consumes more of it. I also throw them in her crumbles but she only eats the mealworms. I may lay off the meds this afternoon to see if she gains an appetite, her scratches have been healing pretty well, but she still looks like shes depressed/in shock and isn't eating.

@thelazyfeather She is drinking water with a vitamin mix. I will check that site out. The avian vet I go to doesn't seem to familiar with ducks, so I would like to find someone that knows more about them.

Thanks everyone, I will keep you all updated
smile.png

Last edited:
I will try that @QuackSpeak , I've mixed it with water and gave it to her with syringes, but i'm afraid to do it too much in case it turns her off from eating and drinking completely.

@Miss Lydia The breach is fixed, and I am in the process of making a whole new pen and transforming a shed in the yard I don't really use into a nice shelter for them. Tube feeding is something I have seriously been thinking about, if she doesn't get better really soon that is what I'm going to have to do. She gets a good vitamin mix in her water, she sips on it. I throw mealworms in there so she consumes more of it. I also throw them in her crumbles but she only eats the mealworms. I may lay off the medicines this afternoon to see if she gains an appetite, her scratches have been healing pretty well, but she still looks like shes depressed/in shock and isn't eating.

@thelazyfeather She is drinking water with a vitamin mix. I will check that site out. The avian vet I go to doesn't seem to familiar with ducks, so I would like to find someone that knows more about them.

Thanks everyone, I will keep you all updated
smile.png
I don't think she would still be in shock after a week. so maybe it is depression she has another duck with her right? Just so hard to know how to help them when they have gone through something like this. But your getting her to eat something so that is good. Most people that have had to tube feed say after the first 2-3 feeding they see improvement.
@Tevyes Dad Just recently had to tube feed on of his ducks.

@Quackmeister , I really hope Blu gets better!
hugs.gif
I'm sorry about your other losses but glad that Lizzie is doing well...
It sounds like you are doing everything you can, if I think of anything else, I'll tell you. I think that you should look into the option of tube feeding.

@Miss Lydia Yes I agree, my other 4 ducks that are left outside are pretty normal again. Blu has Lizzie with her 24/7. I didn't think it was a good idea for Blu to be alone so I have been keeping her with Lizzie to keep her company. I've noticed Blu has become very close to her, follows her around when I let them outside with the others for a little bit.

@QuackSpeak Thanks. I am going to look for an avian vet to see if they can tube feed her. I've been really concerned about her

@Miss Lydia Yes I agree, my other 4 ducks that are left outside are pretty normal again. Blu has Lizzie with her 24/7. I didn't think it was a good idea for Blu to be alone so I have been keeping her with Lizzie to keep her company. I've noticed Blu has become very close to her, follows her around when I let them outside with the others for a little bit.

@QuackSpeak Thanks. I am going to look for an avian vet to see if they can tube feed her. I've been really concerned about her
They can show you how then you can do it.

I can understand her needing Lizzie for comfort. She was really traumatized maybe more than the rest since all are so different. in how they handle things just like us humans.

Back
Top Bottom