My blue wyandotttes don't have yellow legs, are they something else?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rachaelc, May 2, 2010.

1. rachaelc

rachaelc Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    Newberg
    I have been trying to learn about the breed and none of my blues have yellow legs, some grey legs and yellow feet and one has all grey/black leg/feet. This is a learning lesson as I bought them from a Local Feedstore, and it is a small country store. I asked if the could get BLRW in and they said they could but that was not the case as I have posted pictures and they have been called Blue by some very helpful BYC'ers. So now I am wondering if they are really truly all Wyandotte. They do have rose combs.
    From what I have seen all wyandottes have yellow legs.
    Anyone hazard a guess [​IMG]
    Rachael C-mother of all

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  2. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Songster

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Pictures?

3. rachaelc

rachaelc Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    Newberg
    Let me post a link to flicker that I used 2 weeks ago for some advice on color. Hopefully you can see legs.
    rachael C

4. rachaelc

rachaelc Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    Newberg
  5. chickee

chickee Songster

[​IMG]
    This is one of my Blue Wyandotte hens that I ordered through my local feed store. Blue Wyandottes are rare and their type has become poor. Some well known breeders are working on improving them. Look at Paul's Poultry and Foley's Waterfowl websites and you will see that their birds have dark legs.
    Hope this helps. [​IMG]

6. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Songster

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I just went and looked at Foley's blue wyandottes as suggested, and see their birds have yellow feet, not blue? [​IMG]

I have a black wyandotte, that has blue feet as well. I do believe, they should be yellow though. [​IMG]

7. chickee

chickee Songster

A little yellow is showing through on the toes of Foley's Blue Wyandottes, but the legs are dark. Yes, ideally the legs should be yellow, but like I said the Blues need a lot of work. Do your birds look like the pictures of the Blue Wyandottes you are seeing? Remember, hatchery birds are not show quality birds, but that doesn't mean they aren't Wyandottes, they are just poor Quality Wyandottes.

8. encorepistol

encorepistol Songster

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Wyandotte are suppose to have yellow legs and feet but its hard to find blues that have them. I'm finally getting yellow legs but mottled with blue\\black but its a work in progress.

9. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The legs are preferably yellow, but in showing a little bit of smokey is allowed. If your bird with smokey legs is put up again a bird that has yellow the bird with the yellow legs would beat your bird out.

My bantam blue cock has mostly yellow legs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see on bantam black hen she has smokey legs.
    [​IMG]

10. chickee

chickee Songster

Hi Encorepistol [​IMG] I want to see pictures of your BLRW Foley chicks! [​IMG] I have 5 week old Paul + Gregg Catt (pure Lowell Barber line) chicks and I'm thinking of purchasing Foley's BLRW's for an out-cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: