My BO Hen stopped being broody!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kandbjacks, May 10, 2009.

1. kandbjacks

kandbjacks New Egg

Jul 28, 2008
    My 1 year old Buf Orp was broody for about 4 days and I rushed out and bought 12 fertile eggs. The day I was to put them under her, she is not on her nest! For the last two days she has been out walking around, all puffed up still and acting broody, but not on the nest. I don't want these expensive eggs to go bad, I only got them instead of day old chicks because she was so broody. I do not have an incubator! How can I get her to sit on them?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Do you have her seperated or is she is with the rest of the flock?

3. kandbjacks

kandbjacks New Egg

Jul 28, 2008
    she is in with the rest of the flock. Should I put her in a seperate area with a nest such as a dog crate?

4. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I would say just throw together a little house for her that's basically just a nest and a tiny little area where she can get off the nest to poo and eat. If there's nothing else to do, she'll likely sit on those eggs.

I had a broody hen who was half-heartedly setting, but when I put the dozen fertile eggs I picked up for her, she went right to business and is on the nest for days on end without getting up. I don't know how they do that, but I'm excited to see the results. I've never had a broody hen before!

Good luck!

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes I would seperate her to a dog crate to keep the other members of the flock from bothering her. Best to move her at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by