My BobWhites are hatching~4 so far

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mom 2em All, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    and many pips. Finally something for my lone Serama to cheep to.
    These bobwhites are LOUD but they sure don't waste any time. They hatch much faster than chickens. Once they zip- they practically come out running.

2. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Oh neat!! I am excited for you. [​IMG] I only have one lone wyandotte that hatched, one died in the egg, after pipping. Dunno why. [​IMG] I am worried that it will be alone, not sure what to do. It's day 22 in 7 minutes, at 6am.

3. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Congrats! [​IMG]

Thas what i love about quails... they hatch so much faster than chickens... it's like there shells are thin as paper or something..lol

4. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Quote:One week ago, my lone Serama hatched. I bought it one of those cosmetic mirrors that stand on its own- and put it in the brooder with it. I also added a beanie baby duck. It sleeps between the ducks feet, against the mirror. Cries alot, but finds comfort with the mirror.

I just discovered the extent of its deformities today. I had posted before about its abdomen being swollen on one side. I figured that was absorbed yolk and it would go away. That isnt true. Its anus seems to be offset toward the opposite side, just a little (abdomen swells on the left, anus toward the right). Now that it has grown a little, I can see better that its HIP is what is wrong. Is it called a hip in a chicken? lol. If you can imagine bending the pelvis so that the left leg is more forward, that is the problem. It walks with a gimp. Otherwise it is normal. So, we will wait and see how it turns out. I am not culling it. Hopefully as it gets bigger it won't develop any problems.

5. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on the quail hatching! [​IMG]

I hatched bobwhite once, I looked in the incubator at 9am and had one pip and came back at 11 and had 12 chicks, they are quite the hatchers, [​IMG]

6. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I left with three? maybe four. I went to work and returned to 21.
    My daughters apparently took it upon themselves to "help one out" that had just his wings out of the egg. I guess it only zipped 3/4 of the way.
    I was so mad. TOld them they cannot open the incubator.
    Well, I got home to one zipped and dead in shell, 17 hatched. Two almost dead in shell. Like within a couple more minutes, dead. STUCK in there, packed in. DRIED in so fiercely that I had to run water and wet it bit by bit to free them. Time will tell if they survive.
    Perfect lesson for them to NOT OPEN THE INCUBATOR while MOM is at work.
    There are eight other eggs- I dunno if they will hatch or not, or if they are duds or dead. I upped my humidity and we will wait and see.

7. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I have noticed more so with Bobwhites than Coturnix that the chicks have the HURRY UP AND HATCH OR MOMMA IS GOING TO LEAVE US BEHIND instinct. I think that goes along with them being a wild bird. My Coturnix hatch fast...but my bobs were all done the same morning...I woke up looked into the bator there they all were lol.
    [​IMG]

8. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Quote:heh heh...yep, they hatch out running, pretty much.
    They are QUICK!

Good luck with your hatch!

9. JohnG

JohnG Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    I have 30 due to hatch tomorrow. If they hatch like my courtnix I am going to have to build a big cage. Congrats on your hatch.

10. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Aww, you should name it gimpy! [​IMG] I think thats a cute name. Really! [​IMG] I would bet that it will learn to adjust, as long as the limp is all that is wrong with it. No internal malformations or anything, ya know? Good luck!! [​IMG] Any pics yet??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by